July Author Events and Free Workshops

IMG_2716

July is going to be a very busy promo month for me.

I’ll be out on the Cape to kick things off and then spending two weeks in Wisconsin and Illinois. If you live near one of my free workshops or talks, please stop by to say hi. There will be a door prize at each event. I’ll also be signing books and selling photography.

• July 10th from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in Provincetown, MA at the Provincetown Public Library: Free workshop on living the author life and my paths to publication with a book signing and door prize
  • July 25-27th, Kourtney will be participating in several Pioneer Days events in Butternut, WI. Further details will follow
  • July 28th from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Wauwatosa Public Library in Wauwatosa, WI: Free author talk and Q&A with a door prize and book signing
  • July 29th from 6:00 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. at DeKalb Public Library in DeKalb, IL: Free workshop “Turning Up the Heat: How to Write Good Love Scenes” with a door prize and book signing
  • July 31th from 6:30 p.m to 7:30 p.m. in Wasau, WI at the Marathon County Public Library  presenting a free workshop on “Being a Productive Part-time Writer” with a door prize and book signing.

*******

Update on Editorial Revisions

My editor liked what I did with the second part of the book. She had some minor tweaks, which I am working on. I sent the third installment to her last Thursday and am waiting on comments. I will be delivering the final manuscript on July 8th. Then onto copy edits.

********

May Book Sales

In May, I sold 6 books, but I did zero promoting that month.

********

Book Club Discussion

I met with an awesome book club in Manchester and spent 2 hours talking about Six Train. It was so cool to hear how they enjoyed the book and to discuss the nitty gritty of my characters. Of course our discussion went until 10 pm. And I was so keyed up, I didn’t fall asleep until 2 a.m.

This entry was posted in author appearance and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to July Author Events and Free Workshops

1. Looking forward to that workshop, but most of all, to meeting you! Your sales statistics show how promotion directly correlates to moving books, and how it’s absolutely essential, especially for a self-published author.

• Me too! That’s very true. Also I think my discoverability has decreased over time instead of increased. Word of mouth hasn’t really caught on the way you hope for. Ideally, you don’t have to keep promoting constantly after a year. But that’s just not my reality. 🙂

Definitely a jam-packed July. Good luck with it all. Nice that you get to go to Butternut for a while. 🙂

3. Looks as though July will be a busy month, Kourtney. Will you be taking your mom or Grandma H along? You’re smart not to come south during the summer, the humidity can be brutal. Safe travels!

• It will! No, Mom’s not big into flying and Grandma H only does short roadtrips at 85. 😉 I did Nashville last August. I was inside at the Killer Nashville conference most of the time, but that humidity was intense.

4. Arlene says:

Goooo Kourtney! Sounds like a great way to spend summer. I’m so happy to hear your editor like what you did. I know you had some uncertainty about what you were sending her, but I had no doubt it would be right on! 🙂

• Thanks Arlene. It’s going to be a epic roadtrip. 🙂 Me too! Oh I had mega uncertainty. I really struggled with those pages. Of course, I had just gotten the agent rejection and didn’t really have time to process it. So my confidence was at an all time low as I went into revisions. Aw I really appreciate your support.

5. Book clubs are wonderful – always great to talk books with people who like to talk books – and especially if it;s your own, I imagine. Very cool
    The thing about word of mouth promo – you have to keep giving them something to talk about – ’cause someone else is. It’s a full time job.
    Excited with the progress on your new title!
    Enjoy the trips ( pictures! pictures! That top one is really pretty)

• It was very cool to talk to people who really wanted to get into the details of the book. I was there 2 hours. They flew by. I’ve done my best with press releases and events and ads and social media. I’ve done all I can think of to get word of mouth going. At this point, I kind of have to accept that it’s just not happening. There have been pockets of word of mouth but nothing to spark major sales. Yeah, I’m excited to have a new book coming together. It will be quite an experience to be traditionally published. Thanks. That’s from a roadtrip in Oregon. 🙂

6. Aquileana says:

Hi Kourt…
    You go gal…. All the Very Best with the upcoming bookish events.
    Enjoy it!, Aquileana 😛

7. diannegray says:

Best of luck with the workshops and talks, Kourtney 😀

The workshops sound fantastic 🙂 I hope as well as promoting and sharing and working there will be some fun stuff as well… otherwise, roll on August.

9. Lori D says:

Give my home state of Illinois a hug for me, and good luck on your tour.

10. Mayumi-H says:

Busy list, Kourtney! Good to hear your revisions are going smoothly, too. Nothing like keeping the gears turning, eh? Do you ever take a break on your own, though? 🙂

• July is crazy hectic. I also have the first 15 minutes of Six Train’s audiobook to review. 😉 Just waiting to hear from my editor on the last 100 pages. Of course, I’m all butterflies because the ending has to be so kaboom and she liked the first two installments so then my mind frets that this will be the place where things don’t go well. When a break happens, first I catch up on the things I let slide (like blog reading or Facebook). I do give myself get half a day a week off. And I watch tv and read from 10 pm until 1 am before bed everyday. So I get some chill time daily. 🙂

I was so hoping I could get down to the Cape to see you, but I couldn’t make it happen. I’m so bummed. I was really looking forward to it. I’m sure you’ll have a blast in P-town. Ever been? It’s a hoot.

I’m hoping some folks I know in Illinois will make it to your workshop! And it’s so cool that you’ll get a chance to meet up with Gwen. If you want to have drinks and/or a bite to eat before or after, O’Leary’s is a nice “Irish” place that’s not far from the library. 🙂

And I hope the visits will result in more sales and more word of mouth for you. It’s a long, slow process, I think. And it seems the momentum usually builds as an author releases new books. But it has to be frustrating!

• Me too! I’d love to meet your mom! Delighted to meet Gwen. Oh thanks. That sounds awesome. I’ll definitely take Dad there–he’s Irish and loves Irish pubs. 🙂

I hope so too. It’s such a roller coaster with sales. Some months are good and some aren’t. It takes so many people talking about something to really get word of mouth going. I think I read 10,000 people have to be really excited about something to spread the word. It is. And sometimes I get so impatient. 😉 And you are completely right more books help build momentum. But my YA definitely won’t be out until 2015 or later. So I’m kinda stuck with just one book to sell right now.

13. Ally Bean says:

What a wonderful month you have ahead of you. I only wish that I lived closer to where you’re going to be. It all sounds like fun to me. Enjoy!

• Aw thank you. I wish you did too! I wish I could get to more places. But it’s so expensive to travel and do these events. I love meeting readers. But organizing these events and putting together the talks and preparing for them is a lot of work. 🙂