Pickles and Pearls: Midsummer Fantasy Renaissance Festival

IMG_6206

CT’s Midsummer Fantasy Renaissance Faire kicked off on Saturday!  My awesome cousins James and Ashley agreed to go with me back in April. This also ended up being my treat for working so hard on revisions the past 6 weeks.

IMG_6195

Here’s James striking a very kinglike pose. I love his hair.

IMG_6190

It was a gorgeous day.

IMG_6194

There were tons of cool vendors to check out and delicious food options. They also had 5 stages set up throughout the park for performances too. This is an awesome event! I’m definitely in for next year.

IMG_6264

After strolling around, we went to the Tournament stage and watched Knights of Gore.

IMG_6272

We enjoyed it so much we stayed for The Questless Company who had more of a humorous questlessness.

We wandered amongst the vendors and then watched some swordplay lesson too.

I snuck away for a $2 cold pickle. It was a ginormous pickle. Garlic and half sour. And it was delicious and refreshing. And the best pickle I’ve ever had. And I used to have a pickle man back in the city. So it was a damn fine pickle.

And I got a t-shirt. Because I wanted to commemorate the day.

BTW, the park has public restrooms which are so much nicer than a port-o-let.

We wandered around the vendors and ended up at Pearl Odyssey. You get to pick an oyster and then they make a piece of jewelry out of the pearl you get. Pretty cool and memorable thing.

IMG_6295

My oyster had two pink pearls in it. So I had a ring made.

Ashley’s also had twin pink pearls and hers were so close in size she got earrings.

IMG_6294

For dinner, I had a turkey leg and scotch egg. The turkey leg tasted and looked like ham. For a while, I was quite certain I was eating a pig leg. But that’s what happens when you cure turkey and smoke it–James checked Google.

The scotch egg–wow! It’s a hard boiled egg rolled in sausage and breading and cooked to perfection. So good!

Ashley had broccoli and cheese soup in a bread bowl. James had hotdogs.

From the food tent we could watch the tournament stage.

We ended up back at the Tournament stage for Hubris, Daniel GreenWold, Wyck, Sasha the Fire Gypsy with a 3-D Juggling Improve Fire Show. At one point, the pickle vendor came around. And it was round 2 of pickles. So delicious. I would go back to Ansonia just to get another pickle. What a great finale!

IMG_6373

********

I’ve decided to use Photo C as my official author photo for #TGWIG (The Girl Who Ignored Ghosts). It got the most votes and is my fav picture.

P1240672

This entry was posted in Personal and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Pickles and Pearls: Midsummer Fantasy Renaissance Festival

1. Sounds like a great, and unusual event Kourtney – and as for the food, I love scotch eggs. You chose a great photo in the end – I’d be pleased to have that as my author photo 🙂

• It was really cool and my first ren faire of any kind. Definitely a day to remember. I’m so glad I took a food adventure and tried one. Aw thank you. It got the most votes and it was the one I liked the best. 🙂

We have a Renaissance fair near us, but we haven’t gone in years. Your post inspired me to consider going again this year. We always had a good time, though I think ours still has the port-a-potties. 🙂

Looks fun, either being in the audience, or part of the displays would be pretty cool too. Renaissance Fair food sounds delicious, and the turkey sounds like it resembles smoked chicken which I enjoy on occasion, and I even make scotch eggs – both great for picnics. Not sure about the giant cold pickle… I like pickles etc but that one sounds a bit daunting 🙂

• It really was. 🙂 I was surprised by how good the food was. LOL. It was a giant pickle but in the sun, that salt was so needed. I never knew a pickle could be that refreshing!

4. Lori D says:

So, do you like pickles? Heh. I went to the renaissance fair a couple of years ago and got some great photos at the jousting tournament. The horses were beautiful. Looked like a beautiful day do enjoy the fair. Glad you had a nice time.

• LOL. It’s funny my college roommate loved them. I felt like I was channeling her that day. 🙂 Sadly there was no jousting tournament at this one. I’d love to see one of those. 🙂 It was the perfect weather–we really lucked out.

I haven’t been to a Renaissance Fair in years, and I’d bet they’ve gotten bigger and even better organized since those days. 😉 It looks like a good way to have let your brain relax from all the writing, editing, and marketing that you’ve been up to recently!

• JM, it’s been on my to do list for 7 years. 😉 It took forever to find someone willing to go and an event in my area at the same time. 🙂 This one was really cool because they mixed fantasy in too. Yes. It was a great day off. I haven’t had a day like that since I was in Phoenix with Kat in March. 🙂 But I guess one a quarter is good. 😉 I came back to the ending refreshed and ready to push onward.

6. Chris Edgar says:

I suspect that only the Scots, who also deep-fry candy bars and pizza, would think of making a breaded egg. But I also imagine it’s good, though off limits for we herbivores.

• LOL. I’ve had fried Oreos at fairs before. But this was really delicious. I was surprised to see so many great food options at a ren faire. They had vegetarian burgers and kebabs too. 🙂

7. It must be cooler there than here ( and maybe less rain right now)
    We have a big Renaissance Fair in the fall for about a month, but it’s been a while since I went.
    This one looks like fun – and yummy food? That’s unusual.
    Hey those are really great pictures of you!

• June can be humid, but we lucked out. It was high seventies and breezy that day. 🙂 June is less rain than May usually too. We have one in the fall I am seriously jonesing to go to. 🙂 It was really fun. The food rocked. Aw thank you! Ashley took the one of me in the chair. My friend Brett took my author pics. I’m thinking he should consider doing photography on the side. He never takes a bad picture of me. 🙂

8. Aquileana says:

Thanks for this beautiful post, Kourt… I really enjoyed the joyride.
    And by the way you were definitely made to on the throne. God bless the Queen…
    Best wishes and I hope you are having a nice week,
    Aquileana 😀