Changes in Online Presence

In the past few months, I’ve spent most of my time in the now. I have a few goals that I’m moving toward, and each day I am giving my all to reach it.

And it feels really great to be pushing forward and taking pride in what I’m doing.

I don’t feel the pressure to “be on” that always dogged me online. I feel like I can finally relax and be me.

Then I realized I created constraints like I must be on Twitter x number of hours or I must post a blog twice a month or I have to be on Facebook every day.

I think pulling back was the best thing I could do because it made me realize how much happier I am offline. I love having private thoughts and not sharing them.

At my heart, I am an introvert. I don’t crave attention or interaction. I honestly prefer being anonymous and living my life below the radar. I also have just so much time to split between rebuilding my career in finance and writing.

At the same time, I recognize that as an author I want to give my readers access to me. I love every reader email I receive. It’s awesome to hear the affect my book had on a reader. Truly, I treasure that.

I’ve tried to come up with a balance. I will be focusing my energies on my newsletter and will send it out every two months. That’s where you will find free, unpublished short stories by me, giveaways, book updates, and insider info. I also want to keep the blog going, so I will alternate a newsletter mailing with a blog update month by month.

As for Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads, I’m not planning to be there much. So it may take a while to hear back from me on those platforms.  I hope you can understand that this will help me focus more on my stories and will be better for both of us in the long run.

Have you changed your online presence? How did it work out for you?

This entry was posted in Personal, Promotion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Changes in Online Presence

1. Thank you Kourtney for sharing your goals and plans and updating us on the scope of your presence. This weekend brought for me and especially my family of cousins a time of reflection. We lost the first of our generation this past weekend.
    One year ago last May we lost her mother and fortunately, I captured photos of our time together after the funeral. That special time has become even more special as I look back.

Do take care of yourself and engage in those activities most meaningful to you and your family. I wish you the very best. Your words in this message today have helped to enrich our time in meditation and thought.
    All the best my friend.
    Rich

• Kourtney says:

Rich,
      I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. It’s wonderful that your photography captured those moments together. Thank you. I’m so glad my post was helpful.
      Sending hugs and sympathy,
      Kourtney

2. K. Lyn Wurth says:

Hooray for you! Yes, I have also limited my online presence in the last year, and feel all the richer for it. My writing has accelerated, my inner life has flourished, and I generally feel more productive and content when I’m not forcing myself into the public eye. It takes a lot of time and effort to produce quality online content. I prefer to focus on my stories. I’m not sure if it’s only an introvert vs extrovert issue or a matter of personal balance. It’s unfortunate that we writers feel pressured to maintain an intensive online presence. It’s not for everyone, and I’ve noticed that many of my favorite writers do not and never did. They just write. Blessings And improved health to you and yours in this holiday season!

• Kourtney says:

Thanks. I’m so glad to hear that you are doing well and benefiting from being offline. I think I drank the writing conference Kool aid and believed if I wasn’t online I’d fail. But after 8 years, I just don’t believe that my presence has done that much for sales. I’d rather devote my limited time to my stories. Hope you have a great holiday season too! Hugs!

3. I’m glad to hear you’re doing well Kourtney and it sounds like stepping back was a sensible thing to do – you’ve always been very motivated so it’s good that you’ve been able to have some ‘you’ time. I hope your health is doing better too.

• Kourtney says:

Thanks. This year has been really good for me. Stepping back feels like the right choice. I’ve got to gear up for writing to be part time so this year I’ve been practicing and getting a good feel for what I can do in 10-15 hours a week. When I cut out the social media, it was amazing how much more writing I got done. 🙂 I hope you’re doing well. I plan to start visiting blogs again too. I’ll be stopping by yours.

4. Mayumi-H says:

Thanks for the update, Kourtney, and I’m so glad to hear you are doing well! Taking time for yourself is so important. Social media is such a distraction and can easily take us off the rails. I often feel better when I can unplug from all of those outlets and just concentrate on what I want and love to do, whether that’s my family, my job, or my writing. Your projected plan for outreach and communication sounds like a good one, and healthy to keep. Rebuilding your finance career sounds exciting, too! Here’s to great things for the year ahead!

• Kourtney says:

Thanks! I 100% agree. Downtime, family time, personal time, they all have so many benefits. Yes, unplugging is great. I am so glad not to feel that pressure to be online so I don’t miss out. I’m really excited about moving back to NYC next spring. It’s still a ways off, but I’m loving studying everyday and regaining skills that I haven’t used in 8 years. Thanks.Wishing you a terrific year ahead too!