Audiobook, and Group Author Events, and Sequel's Outline, Oh My!

P1190618

Six Train’s Audiobook

Big news of the month, I decided to do an audiobook for The Six Train to Wisconsin. I’ve put out a call for female narrators on ACX. Payment will be a royalty split. If you or someone you know narrates audiobooks, please encourage them to try out!

Group Author Events

I’ll be at the Wadsworth Atheneum with CAPA authors as part of the museum’s Second Saturdays Living Art exhibit.

I’ll be selling and signing copies of my book. To bring the book to life–Living Art– I will have a limited number of signed photographs from the book for sale too.

I’ll be there from 10am to 3pm on February 8th. The museum is free from 10 am to 1 pm that day too!

*******

I’ll be at the Whittemore Library on 2/12 from 6:30-8 pm with 8 CT authors for a Ladies’ Night Out. Here’s the amazing flyer the library put together:

whittemorephoto

Free wine and chocolate and eight authors. Perfect pre-Valentine night out.

Gerri Brousseau, the amazing organizer of this multi-author event and fellow author, will be onย WTNH’s CT Style on February 7th at 12pm to share more info about the event too!

Six Train’s outline

I swear it is almost done. It’s just that pesky ending. I’ve changed it so many times. And changed it back almost as many. It’s at 33k words and will be finalized this week. Those last 10 chapters just need to get ironed out.

One of the things I love about this phase is the unexpected research required.

Like the dozens of emails with my old coworkers and bosses to figure out the nuts and bolts of a financial crime.

Or the email to Steph about what traditional Korean dishes might be served for special occasions, or asking Jason if someone would go out on a cold December night for a smoke in Butternut, or my aunt whose a nurse telling me how a broken wrist and finger would be set.

I’m so lucky to have so many experts willing to weigh in and help me make the best book possible. Thank you!

This entry was posted in author appearance, Events, Promotion, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Audiobook, and Group Author Events, and Sequel's Outline, Oh My!

1. I forwarded this one to a friend, who I think has a GREAT voice for audio books.. love the way you keep truckin’ Kourtney. ๐Ÿ˜€

Can’t wait to hear how the audiobook thing goes. Will be interesting to learn from your process (as always!).

• It’s interesting to hear someone else read my words. Hoping to find that person who really gets it. If not, I may have to try to narrate it myself. Nothing like another new challenge in the new year. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Mae Clair says:

Sending you wishes for success, Kourtney. You’re continuing to blaze an awesome trail! You go!!!

4. You’re lucky indeed to have so many great folks to turn to. Outlining is a really exciting stage. Oh, heck — every stage can be exciting.

• What amazes me is how giving people are of their time and how much they want to help me get the details right. LOL. Each stage is exciting but in different ways. There are also pull your hair out moments but that’s just part of the process. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Audio book sounds so exciting!

Good to hear you’re on with the sequel already ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Sheila says:

It sounds like you’ll need some of that free wine and chocolate to get through it all! ๐Ÿ™‚ I love the research stage too. It’s such a great chance to learn so many things.

• LOL. Maybe after it all. ๐Ÿ˜‰ The audiobook is a longer range project–I figure it will take 1-2 months to find the right voice. Research is pretty fun because it takes the story in new directions too. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. That is big news, Kourtney, congratulations! Would you ever consider narrating your own book?

• Thanks Jill. The problem is recording quality. I don’t have a studio for recording and I can’t afford one. So I’d have to set something up at home and I worry the quality wouldn’t be good enough. And then there’s the cost of setting that up. Otherwise, I’d prefer to narrate my own book. I know every subtle emotion rippling across the page and I think my voice can do male and female characters. I am going to look into it, just in case I can’t find a narrator and maybe I’ll find an inexpensive option. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Ah Kourtney, you’re giving us some teasers there by telling us about your research – sounds very intriguing! Good luck with finding a ‘voice’ for the audiobook.

9. Yatin says:

Great idea. Audio books are becoming very popular. For busy working Dad like me Audio books serves great alternative form of “reading” especially when one way commute is 1:10 mins!

I think an audiobook would be so cool! I could never narrate myself because I can’t stand the way my voice sounds on recordings. I hope it’s really not that nasally. ๐Ÿ™‚

I love the little story research tidbits you sneaked in at the end of the post!

• Me too. LOL. I’m most worried about not having a professional recording place. I think I’d do better at the subtle stuff. I know every emotion in the book and I have enough range to make the dialogue recognizable as male and female. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Aw, glad you liked them!

11. Arlene says:

An audio book sounds so exciting! I hope you find the right voice and I can’t wait to re-experience the story in that format. I still think it would make a great movie!

Good luck with your two upcoming events. I was hoping to make it to the Wadsworth this Saturday — would love to see you there — but may have to make an unexpected trip to NYC for a funeral service ๐Ÿ™

Would much rather be at the Atheneum. (By the way, I totally want to add an extra ‘n’ in that word too. It does sound better that way) ๐Ÿ™‚

• Arlene, I hope I find the right voice too. ๐Ÿ™‚ Aw thank you. It would be amazing to see it come to life.

Thanks! Snow worries were on my mind, but I think the Saturday storm is moving to Sunday. Aw thank you for trying. Oh no. I’m so sorry to hear about your loss.

I agree. Atheneum doesn’t sound as good as antheneum. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Go you! I wish I knew a good female narrator. Unfortunately, the only one I know is male. ๐Ÿ™

13. TBM says:

I’m really curious about the audiobook and the process. Keep us informed! And good work!

• The process on ACX is pretty streamlined. You build a profile for your book and then put out a call for narrators. The hard part is listening to voices and figuring out who you want to hire. ๐Ÿ˜‰

An audiobook would be awesome for Six Train. Glad you’re doing that. The little research bits that we can do with family and friends are so much more fun than Googling. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• I’ve had enough requests that I think it’s worth doing. ๐Ÿ™‚ Google doesn’t work for certain things too–judgements about what sounds reasonable or feasible in a plot twist. ๐Ÿ˜‰

15. great news… ๐Ÿ˜›

I have a friend who swears by audio books but I’m a little worried that I would get even more engrossed in the book than I do reading one, and lose touch with reality – she listens while cleaning, cooking. commuting – far too dangerous for me.
    I’m happy to see in the comments you thought about narrating the audio book yourself. I think that’s an excellent idea whihc you should escalate investigating ๐Ÿ™‚

• I’ve never listened to an audiobook. I’m more of a visual than an aural person. But there seems to be a good market for them. I’ve gotten requests so I thought I should explore it. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s still a possibility, but it’s a lot of work. A rather big learning curve and I’m not sure I want to take that on now. It may be something I keep on the backburner. ๐Ÿ˜‰