What’s Happening in Butternut?

P1010438

Last week, the lovely Anna Maria Hansen emailed me to set up an interview with her for the Price County Publications. They cover Butternut and Park Falls and the surrounding towns. Anna Maria is a reporter and a member of the Third Story Writers Guild.

Before any interview, I get nervous. Two minutes before she was scheduled to call, Emerson leapt off the bed and came to sit in front of me. He wanted to be picked up. I started to put him back on the bed, but then I remembered how calming his presence was during my interview with Tracy O’Shaughnessy. I sat him in my lap.

I was really impressed that Anna Maria found the time to read my book before the interview. I had a delightful time talking with her. Can’t wait to see the article!

This weekend I got an email from Kelly Meredith, the President of the Butternut Area Historical Society. She wanted to say hello and request my press kit to help her promote my upcoming events in Butternut! I am so excited to be a part of the town’s celebration!

I have never met more friendly and helpful people in my  life. Butternut is truly a magical place. I am counting down the days until my visit, which is from July 23-29.

I’m doing a library talk at the Park Falls Library on July 25th at 6pm on my path to publication.

From July 26-28th, I get to participate in the fantastic schedule for their Pioneer Days.

On July 26th, there is a lovely reception with town officials and dignitaries and me at 7 pm.

On July 27th, I’m going to the mural dedications and then signing books from 12 pm onward at The Quilt Shop. A portion of the profits from those book sales are going to the Butternut Area Historical Society.

On July 28th, I’m in the parade to honor Butternut area history at noon.

******

If I’m not coming to your area, you can still place an order for a personalized autographed copy of my book. Find out how at: http://kourtneyheintz.wordpress.com/signed-copies/

******

If you’d like your ebook autographed, use this authorgraph link to request one from me.

This entry was posted in author appearance, Promotion, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to What’s Happening in Butternut?

1. Gwen says:

Holy cow, Kourtney – you’re a Butternut celebrity! How exciting all this is. I have a vision in my mind of how the town looks, and I must admit I’m having trouble picturing it during the dog days of summer! Must be the wonderful wintry description in the novel that’s interfering with my mental images 😉 Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you’ll be able reverse the public-appearance sales trends. Be sure to post lots of pictures after your visits! xo

• The people in Butternut have been so friendly and welcoming. I’m so happy I set Six Train in their village. 🙂 It’s very exciting. I’ll post pictures when I get back and tell you all about my adventures. 🙂 Aw thank you! I actually visited Butternut in August 2010 for research so it was a stretch to imagine everything covered in snow. Thank goodness for my imagination and my New England winters. 🙂 They are having me inside a nice building for the signing so hopefully it will go better. People tend to linger and mingle when inside.

2. Wow, I didn’t know it was a real place! Awesome!

• Yes, it’s a really lovely area! I took some liberties in my book creating new streets and stuff, but Deer Haven Lodge, Copper Falls, Turtle Flambeau Flowage–are all real places there. 😉

3. Mae Clair says:

Wow, what a great series of events you’ll be participating in! It sounds like you have a fab time planned and will be meeting and interacting with some great people. I’ll be looking forward to more news after your trip!

• Thanks! I’m really excited! Maxine Kleinsteiber of the Butternut Area Historical Society has done a fantastic job organizing events and coordinating with others to make it all happen! I’m in awe of her. We touched base back in March and have been working together for months. 🙂

4. Maxine Kleinsteiber says:

A special place called Butternut awaits your arrival!

5. Have a great time, Kourtney! The photo is absolutely gorgeous!

You really have this marketing thing down. Have you considered writing a nonfiction book on the process? Something short and practical for new authors? I think it would do quite well!

• Aw thank you Carrie! I’ve been incredibly lucky that the people I reached out to were interested in working with me. Maxine took my request to do an author event and ran with it, scheduling a whole slew of events. 🙂 That’s a cool idea, but honestly I just did all the exercises in Jen Fusco’s Market or Die books. She’s the marketing genius. I’m just an apprentice. 😉

7. We can’t wait to see the article either! What great events you have scheduled – Butternut sounds like a perfect match for your book and characters. (Pioneer Days and parade – fun.)
    Good dog Emerson, take care of your person.

• I’ll post a link as soon as I have one. 🙂 I can’t wait to go out there. It’s a lot quieter than the Butternut in my novel but it’s filled with amazing and wonderful people. Very excited for the parade and Pioneer Day festivities.

LOL. He’s the best. 🙂

8. Kourtney, I cannot tell you how impressed I am with your professionalism, and the way you are publicizing your book, and making it all happen. I wish I had more of your drive! I wish you continuing success, which you absolutely deserve.

• Thanks Naomi! I am trying to spread the word without being obnoxious or naggy. 😉 I’ve been lucky. I contacted 75 venues/associations and about a dozen came back expressing interest. The people that are interested are a delight to work with. They really want to see you succeed. Thanks! *Fingers crossed* for more sales. 🙂

9. Sounds awesome … totally normal to be nervous, will make you seem normal. My area is probably out of the way (So. California). Have your book on my list. Good luck!

• Thanks. I always get nervous talking. You can’t revise. Your first draft has to come out well. 😉 I am hoping to do a week or two book tour of AZ and Southern California in the winter or spring of next year for Six Train. Just need to get the money together. 🙂 Aw thank you for putting me on your TBR list.

All cheese jokes aside, Wisconsin is a great place. Okay, I’m biased. My husband grew up not far from Green Bay. 😉 I’ve been there countless times, although not to Butternut. But I suspect you’ll have a great time, and it will be a wonderful way to continue healing from that nasty accident. No matter the weather, the company will be great! Have an absolutely fantastic time while you’re there!

• I completely agree. LOL, just a smidge biased. 😉 Ah, perhaps next time? Thanks!I hope so. 🙂 Definitely fine company. And hopefully not as unbearably humid as it has been here. Thanks so much! 🙂

11. Kate is says:

Goodness, you are so busy and doing wonderful things. It makes me want to visit. 🙂

12. Cat Forsley says:

All Good Things K heart xo

Butternut sounds like a great place. Such a good way for small towns to increase their profile – no wonder they are happy to have you visit. Have fun 🙂

• It’s beautiful and way more quiet than the Butternut in my book. It’s a perfect getting back to nature getaway. 🙂 I only wish the Deer Haven Lodge was still open–it was paradise. Thanks! 🙂

14. Love the idea of you holding Emerson for the interview… so sweet!

15. Mayumi-H says:

Nice! And what a beautiful location for such lovely events. 😀

16. You go girl! So much goodness coming your way – I’m excited for you!

17. You are rockin’ it, lady! Keep up the great work! 🙂