What Comes Next…

I sent my revised manuscript to the agent on Sunday.

1000 lbs off my shoulders.

And Monday morning I faced a new unknown…

What comes next.

I still had blog posts and social media stuff to do.

But this was a week without drafting or revising. A week off from novel writing.

So I started with shaving my legs and taking out the garbage.

Things I neglected during my writing.

I walked the dog.

I called all the doctors I needed to make appointments with.

I scheduled a 4-day trip to NY to see them and my friends.

And I finally deleted all the junk in my old email account.

Then I got to work. Because I can’t not work.

I started drafting a list of editors and agents to query when I finish revising my next book, a YA fantasy.

Prep work. Groundwork for the next novel.

Because it is always good to be prepared.

And though the waiting is hard, I’m going to do what I always do: keep moving forward.

This entry was posted in Personal, Uncategorized, Writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to What Comes Next…

1. La La says:

Woo hoooo! This is exciting.

2. winsomebella says:

Hooray and I hope the wait is not long ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Good on you!! I know what you mean–not working is pretty hard for me too. I’m so hoping it all goes well for you!

When one door closes (at least temporarily), it’s best to open another right away. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. The ‘in between’ time can be the toughest. You’re doing all the best things, Kourtney. Forward is what counts. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. klynwurth says:

Congratulations on the winding down and the gearing up. Sounds like a great time for you, take good care of yourself.

7. It’s good to keep busy. I totally agree

8. Lily Paradis says:

Congrats on getting your manuscript sent off! That’s so exciting! Also have fun in NY! It’s my favorite place in all the world!

Now’s the time when you need to concentrate on other things, be they writing-related or not. And if a new story idea takes root while you’re preparing, be sure to take care of it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• It’s nice to take a break and switch gears. I’ve spent hours putting together the new query spreadsheet for my next book. ๐Ÿ™‚ LOL. New story ideas are always logged into my idea file. I have an idea for the next book already, but I promised myself I’d revise my third book first. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Congrats on a goal accomplished. I know what you mean about needing to work, I’m the same way. I’ve always been restless, anxious in that way. I bet you feel amazing that you got all those pesky tasks out of the way so that you can focus on your work again. Good luck with the querying. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thanks! I like having a routine. I’m just switching it up for a two weeks. I am glad the hair is looking good. And that the Ebay listings are done. Things I never seem to get around to when I’m in massive revision mode. At least on the next book I have 3 months to revise and it’s only 60k! Thank goodness YA is shorter. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Ottabelle says:

I’m super glad for you ๐Ÿ™‚ Always forward!

12. Emmie Mears says:

From one fishy to another fishy, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.

I might need to watch Nemo tonight.

• Emmie Mears says:

Also, congrats on sending that R&R in…I just got my first R&R yesterday, so I’m fixing to roll up my sleeves. Today it’s Make a List of Necessary Revisions Day.

• Thanks. It was a tough revision. I really had to take the whole manuscript apart. Added about 10k and dozens of new scenes. Good luck with your R&R. It took me a couple weeks to grasp the requested revisions and formulate a plan of attack. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Emmie Mears says:

Yeah, that would be a HEAP of work. I got lucky in that all the requested revisions were in the realm of clarification and one deepening of a relationship, so I think I can get it done pretty quickly by adding a couple scenes and switching out another for one that better advances the plot/relationships, but it’s still going to be a lot of work. A couple will be tough because of the POV (first person present), which is so immediate that my protagonist has to actually see and understand everything for the reader to do the same. I’m going to be stomping around and playing with everything this week, I think.

• That’s awesome. Stomp on! And if it takes a couple weeks or even a couple months that’s cool. Revisions can be tricky. I had to let them cool off to make sure I did everything I thought I did. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Even around the 20th read through, I caught something I thought I’d fixed. ;P Lots of positive thoughts being sent your way. Not luck because hard work and dedication should create the best draft ever!

• LOL. I watched Cars last night. ;P Yup, just keep going eventually we’ll reach Atlantis. ๐Ÿ˜‰

13. Whew. One hurdle down…sounds like you’re about to rejoin the living? (The dog is probably thrilled!) Congrats and enjoy the breathing room…for a bit anyway

• Thanks. It’s nice to not be thinking about the book all day. Gives my mind a chance to catch up on all those pesky things it neglected like my appearance, my dusty room, my flat down comforter. LOL. ๐Ÿ™‚

14. berry says:

A watched pot never boils. Forget about it. It’s. Out of your control.