Last Week's Events and Such

IMG_20140208_093029_292

Photo by Sandra Tansley

Feb 8th from 10 am to 3 pm, I was with the CAPA authors at the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford, CT. This required rising at 6:30 am. An incredible feat for nocturnal me.

IMG_20140208_093045_082

Photo by Sandra Tansley

Mom and I drove up to the museum and arrived at 9 am to set up. She’s an awesome help and we had out place all perfect by 9:50 am.

jenphoto

It was a long day, but my Aunt Jen came to see me and brought her adorable daughters, V and L. L doesn’t like pictures so she opted out of our group shot. They brightened my day up with their visit and   even bought copies of the book.

141_5_1

Photo by Wayne Sharnick

On 2/12 from 6:30-8 pm, I joined several CTRWA authors for a “Ladies’ Night Out” at the Whittemore Library in Naugatuck, CT. The library has a lovely reading room where we each took turns reading an excerpt from our book.

154_18_1

Photo by Wayne Sharnick

The lovely Mary Donnaruma Sharnick kicked off the reading. She is a delight to talk to and is the English department chair at my former high school, Chase Collegiate. Her husband took most of the photos from that night and graciously shared them with us.

168_7_1

Photo by Wayne Sharnick

That’s me giving my talk.

170_9_1

Photo by Wayne Sharnick

T.L. Costa followed me. She was the most animated reader and made me want to read her YA as soon as I get through the book I’m on!

173_12_1

Photo by Wayne Sharnick

Gerri Brosseau was the last to speak. She organized the entire event and promoted her bum off. She did a terrific job making this evening happen!

IMG_20140212_182641_746

Photo by Sandra Tansley

I had several book sales and even sold a signed photo.

For me, the night went too fast. But then I got to go out to dinner with my Mom, Aunt Cindi, Aunt Sue, and Audra–we had a blast at Maggie McFly’s.

********

January sales numbers are in: I sold 32 books.

I’ve got 47 reviews on Amazon. 3 more and  I will reveal details about Six Train’s sequel.

I had the most amazing review from someone who stumbled across Six Train in a Wisconsin library! AnnJohnsonmurpheeauthor made my Valentine’s Day super special with her review! Thank you Ann Johnson Murphee!

I’m working with libraries in IL and WI to schedule author talks/workshops for late July–the week in between Pioneer Days and Flambeau Rama. These are the nicest librarians I’ve ever talked to–genuinely excited to have me visit. It’s such a lovely experience. Gosh, I love the midwest.

We’re still figuring out times and topics, but here’s what I’ve lined up:

July 28th: Wauwatosa Public Library, Wauwatosa, WI

July 29th: DeKalb Public Library, DeKalb, WI

July 30th: undetermined

July 31st: Wasau Public Library, Wasau, WI

August 1st: Park Falls Public Library, Park Falls, WI

****

Revisions to the YA contemporary fantasy are going well. I’m going to call it DM here on the blog.  I worked through 2 betas’ comments. Finishing up the third by next week. So far, I’ve added 8k, but I was short at 61k in the last draft so it’s all good.  I’m loving where the story is going and how these tweaks improve it.

This entry was posted in author appearance, Promotion and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Last Week's Events and Such

1. kathils says:

Kourtney, keep me posted on your schedule surrounding the Wauwatosa date. That isn’t all that far from me. If you’re coming in the day before, I’d love to meet up with you!

2. Harliqueen says:

Looks like it was a good day 🙂

3. You look right at home, behind that desk, signing your book! Thanks for sharing your events, Kourtney. I’m glad your mother was able to come along, that’s nice.

I’m trying to figure out who’s the aunt in that picture and who’s her daughter! Your aunt is very youthful appearing. What’s her secret? 😉 (But really, which one is your aunt?!)

• LOL. I have a rather large, layered family. So the dark haired woman is my Aunt Jen. She is only 5 years older than me. She was the youngest on my biological father’s side and he was the oldest. Her daughter is the cute 4 year old in her arms. The petite blonde next to me is my mom. 😉

5. You are getting to be a pro at the author events, my lovely friend!

• I read once that the first year of promoting you have no idea what you are doing but you just keep doing it. Eventually you get better and more confident. Thank goodness I’m closing in on my 1 year mark. 🙂

…and such…. what an understatement. You fit so much in you amaze me 🙂

• Aw thank you. I’m hyper organized and I work 6.5 days a week. This is my sole career right now so I can keep the writing and promoting going simultaneously. If I was still working on Wall Street, only 1/3 of this would be close to getting done.

It’s great to see the events you have lined up! I talked with my mom today, and she’s got your date on her calendar now. 🙂

From what I’ve read, the first book has the hardest time breaking through barriers. We’re learning as we go, and we don’t have the name recognition of those authors with multiple books. But before long you’ll have two books out, and that snowball can pick up speed. You’ll get there!

• Thanks! I’m trying new venues and seeing how it goes. 🙂 Aw thank you! I can’t wait to meet your mom.

That’s really good to hear. I hope Reckonings finds an easier way with Harlequin. And of course what I’m working on now, DM, I have high hopes for. Each is a series too. Just got to keep at it.

8. diannegray says:

What a wonderful day, Kourtney!

9. Arlene says:

Kourtney you have so much going all at once, it’s a good think you’re so organized. i’m not sure how you keep track of it all. Sounds like you’ve made some good progress on DM – looking forward to hearing more about it and getting a chance to read it too of course!

• Arlene, I try to keep everything moving forward. Right now the writing is #1 and it gets 5 hours every day. I squeeze the rest in on breaks. Excel spreadsheets are my best friend. Thanks. It always amazes me how much of the story remains in my head in the first draft. Thank goodness Gwen Stephen–The 4 a.m. Writer--caught it all. Her notes really really help. I’ve added 9k words in 2 weeks. Aw thanks! Fingers crossed the agent loves it and signs me and I get a new agent in the spring/summer.

10. Your comment about loving the Midwest brought a smile to my face. Although you’ll find callous, big-city rudeness here in Chicago, I think generally Midwesterners are generous, helpful, and kind, in the most genuine way. I get really put off when Hollywood portrays my people as ignorant simpletons. Those types exist everywhere, but it’s an unfair stereotype.

Anyway (sorry for the soapbox) 😀 — glad to hear you’re making so much progress on your next ms. You’ve added 8k? Wow! I’d love to learn about the process you take when you go through beta comments. Maybe a future post topic?

• I’d expect that. Cities breed that kind of behavior. It’s really stessful to live on top of other people. I was not a particularly nice person in NYC. I absolutely agree with that. The genuine kindness blows me away every time. Yeah, Hollywood always makes the obvious and easiest choice unfortunately.

Completely understand about the soap box. 🙂 Yup. Of course, happy to do that. 🙂 I add lots of words as I address comments and then in the next several weeks afterward I polish and cut back again. 🙂

11. Aquileana says:

Hi there Kourt.
    Oh that was almost epic but we finally arrived to your speech on the book and the signatures on the copies, I guess it must such an incredible experience and I am happy for you.
    Aquileana 😉

• It was a busy week. I do my best to space out events but inevitably 2-3 places want to do an event the same week. 🙂 It’s really cool to be out there with my book. But it’s always a bit of anxiety–will anyone buy a copy? Will anyone attend the event?

Hugs,
      K

12. Lori D says:

I miss the midwest where I grew up (Chicago burbs). People are not near as accommodating where I live, nor friendly. Looks like a great event. Keep up the good work.

the planning and working really does never end!

My husband’s family are scattered throughout the midwest, so I’ve been out there a couple of times for family gatherings. You’re right — very friendly, down-to-earth people. But I don’t think I could handle their summers! I can barely take NH’s humidity.

Glad to see you’re still cooking with those book tours!

• Wow, so many great people have ties to the midwest. Definitely a pattern there! I’ve only summered in the Northwoods. It was very cool and temperate. Needed a sweater in July!

Oh yes. I have the best readers in Wisconsin. I really want to get back out there and meet more of them!

15. Pingback: Five Years of Blogging | Kourtney Heintz's Journal