Skinny Dennis & The Hugh Bob and The Hustle Outing

IMG_2991

Our journey into the city for Hugh Bob began in Stamford. Which is one of the most confusing train station I’ve been in in the U.S. Never ever going there again confusing.

Did I mention that I printed the directions at 3:20 am during my night terrors and got us directions to the center of Stamford and not the train station? Yeah, not my best work.

It was not so easy to get to Metro North and arrive at Grand Central.

Had to hustle up to the Upper East Side to run an errand for my cousin’s friend.

Then downtown to the tip of Manhattan to Club Quarters to check in.

Dinner was a delicious treat at Dim Sum Go Go. It’s not the cheapest dimsum in Chinatown but they serve it all day. And it was darn fine dimsum.

We started with spring rolls, pumpkin pancakes, and sesame balls (my favorite).

Then we had:

IMG_2992

Steamed roast pork buns, Shumai, and Sticky rice with chicken wrapped in lotus leaf.

IMG_2993

My cousin loved these Malaysian sweet cakes. I didn’t like the spongy texture.

We ended with duck dumplings, more steamed roast pork buns, some pea tip dumplings, and sesame balls.

IMG_2995

We had to make a quick pitstop back at the hotel and then cabbed it over to Williamsburg to Skinny Dennis, which definitely earned its rep as the best country bar in NYC. Drinks are cheap and good. The bar is so down to earth you swear you’re hundreds of miles from the city.

IMG_2997

IMG_3003

We snacked on the free warm peanuts and got the hot pretzel. It came with mustard. I “decided” it was honey mustard and slathered it on my piece of the pretzel. Sad to say it was spicy mustard.

IMG_3025

So on to the reason for my trip to the city:

Hugh Bob and The Hustle

They were setting up when we arrived and were the nicest bunch of guys I ever met in the city. Hugh immediately recognized me from our Butternut connection (and my Butternut t-shirt) and gave me a big welcoming hug.

We chatted about the ‘Nut and all the fantastic people I got to meet there–including his aunts Geralyn & Kathy and the iconic Maxine who introduced me to his music. It’s really awesome to talk to someone else who is doing what they love and trying to make a go of it. Completely inspiring.

Anyway, I didn’t want to hog his time so I went back to hang with my cousin.

IMG_3019

The bar crowded up as the night went on. But the sound was amazing. Hugh Bob and The Hustle sounded as great in person as they do on their CD. I’m a sucker for country. Hugh’s voice at times reminds me so much of Dwight Yoakam it’s eerie cool.

They have a unique sound that is their own and yet completely accessible. They won over the bar’s diverse crowd. I couldn’t help taping my foot.

IMG_3023

I love loved loved Ashland County and North Country. There is something indescribably authentic about these guys and their music.

I tend to listen more to lyrics and its clear these guys are true storytellers.

Had to head out early because my cousin wasn’t feeling well, so I didn’t get to hear Butternut. Sigh. I guess I’ll just have to make it to another one of their shows. They are definitely worth a trip back to Wisconsin. ๐Ÿ™‚

I expect very big things from them & many more forays to the east coast. So if you enjoy country with a touch of bluegrass and a dash of rockabilly and some real Americana–check out Hugh Bob and The Hustle!

You’ll be glad you did. And yes, I’ll expect a thank you from your ears.

This entry was posted in Personal, Travel, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Skinny Dennis & The Hugh Bob and The Hustle Outing

1. Maxine Kleinsteiber says:

Thanks for sharing your Saturday night experience! Here we are in the woods and you and Hugh Bob are writing books and singing songs about this special place. So glad to have such vivid reporting of your experience. Danke!

2. Mae Clair says:

Sounds like a fun night out, although the train station would have had me freaked! Skinny Dennis looks like a cool place. I would have liked the spicy mustard ๐Ÿ™‚

• Yeah the train station was like a gerbil maze. And that’s after we found the parking. Not well laid out. Lol. All I kept saying was “spicy” for like 5 minutes as a fire burned along my tastebuds. ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Yatin says:

Metro North is the fastest way to get in & out of City during peak hours. The other alternative you can try is to drive into Queens & park somewhere near LI City & take 7 train (5 min ride) to GC!! Depending on your familiarity you may find a free parking or at least much affordable one than in Manhattan!

• Lol. Thank for the tips. I lived on Manhattan for 8 years so I’m definitely sticking with metro north. We wanted to go to a station with garage parking for her car but neither of us was familiar with the Stamford station area. Next time I’ll stick with Stratford or Bridgeport. We got screwed by pulling into the wrong parking garage in Stamford. We could have parked on Manhattan for the evening for cheaper. ๐Ÿ™

4. Looks like a fun night! Another yummy post!

5. Very cool trip (but that first bit made me very hungry!)

Sounds like you had a great time, but it’s too bad your cousin wasn’t feeling well. Don’t you just love the connections you’re making, all from writing The Six Train?!

• Yeah, I wish I could have gotten to hang out with Hugh and his bandmates. ๐Ÿ™ It’s really cool how knowing people helps you know other people. And Wisconsinites are the nicest people I’ve ever met. I thank my lucky stars everyday that I set the book in Butternut. ๐Ÿ™‚

Love the pics of the dimsum (which we call yum cha)… regardless it’s afavourite dining option ๐Ÿ™‚ My ears are not so attuned to c&w but the Butternut song was pretty good. Great that you have that Butternut connection wiht Hugh and got to hang out for a while ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thanks. Country isn’t for everyone’s tastes. But they’re pretty alt-country. I listened to the whole cd and having been to that area it just captured it perfectly. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s amazing how many people I’ve met through my book! ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Tuan Ho says:

Oh good lord, those pictures are making me droool!!!! It’s been so long since I had dim sum ๐Ÿ™‚

You had me at pumpkin pancakes…

10. Fun post, but now I’m starving again! I love the sesame buns too! Did they have that bean paste in them… oh, yum!