Requests for Revisions and Request for Manuscript

So I’ve been sitting on two amazing piece of good news. Debating if I should share it or just wait and see what comes of it…

But life is lots of moments that have to be shared or else the goodness of the news expires, so here goes.

Back in May, I got a full request from my dream agent on my adult fantasy manuscript. A few weeks later, the agent’s assistant came back with tons of positive feedback and a two-page editorial style letter outlining the five areas that needed work. After digesting all her insightful points, I started work on revisions.

And as hard as they are to make, they are really amazing. Improving the manuscript so much, I want to hug her.

I committed to addressing all of their concerns and getting them a revised manuscript by Mid-October, which might sound like a lot of time, but there are substantial POV changes that have to be made throughout the manuscript. So for the next two months, I’ll be cutting back my FB, Twitter, and Pinterest time. I’ll be here on the blog and still reading other blogs, but revisions will be my priority.

And my other unexpectedly lovely news–I got a full request from an editor during my manuscript consultation at the SCBWI conference. I really loved my beginning and wanted to test the waters of my new YA novel. I had no idea if I’d be talking with an agent, editor, or author, but I figured a little feedback on the first ten pages would be cool.

The editor really liked my pages and requested the whole manuscript. I was not expecting that. She was really gracious when I explained that I had committed to doing revisions for an agent on my other book and it might be several months before I could send her the revised version of my new book.

I have no idea if either of these requests will lead me closer to publication, but I’m excited by the possibilities. ๐Ÿ™‚

This entry was posted in Querying, Uncategorized, Writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Requests for Revisions and Request for Manuscript

This is such wonderful news, Kourtney. I can’t express how delighted and thrilled and excited I am for you. To be honest, I am not surprised. You have been working so diligently and you were bound to get good news.

Sounds like even if a publishing option doesn’t pan out, your manuscripts are going to be stronger through this process. Congrats on this big step in your journey. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thanks Kathryn! I’ve gone through periods of doubt and droughts. It’s really wonderful to have possibilities. It keeps me coming back to my laptop everyday. ๐Ÿ™‚

Even if I don’t get signed, at least I am getting requests and can feel forward momentum in my writing career. And I can definitely see how the agent’s comments are improving the book, pulling more out of my head and putting it on the page. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. kford2007 says:

This is fantastic news! I am thrilled for you. I know all about the editing and taking time off to complete it, so good luck with that. Please keep us posted. I’m excited about the possibilities, too. *happy Snoopy dance*

• Thanks! It’s so wonderful to hear from publishing professionals that my writing is strong, but that it needs some improvement. That is the best affirmation ever and totally invigorated me for revisions. Thanks for understanding! I’ll definitely let you know what comes of it. Maybe I just get a much improved manuscript, maybe I get my dream agent, maybe I get another idea for my next project. But either way, I’ll just keep writing. ๐Ÿ™‚

*Happy Snoopy dancing with you*

Kourtney, that’s great news! Get those revisions done and then your second manuscript out! I’ve got a good feeling about these two books! ๐Ÿ™‚

• JM, I’m working 6 days a week on revisions. I want to get through the whole manuscript at least twice before I send it off. I’ve never gotten such positive feedback on a book before. So I’m hopeful that implementing her suggestions might maybe get me an agent. But if it doesn’t, I’ll definitely have an improved manuscript so all this time and effort is worth it!

4. So exciting, good luck!!

5. Congrats, Kourtney! I know how you feel, wondering whether to share or keep happy news quiet. I’m glad you shared so we can cheer you on. ๐Ÿ™‚ You’re going to land awesome representation soon. I feel it.

• Thanks August! There are so many almosts in a writing career. I’ve almost gotten an agent a few times. I never really mentioned it because it didn’t pan out, but then I thought heck if I never mention things then I can’t celebrate the wins along the journey. And there are lots of smaller wins, before the big “agent” or “publisher” win. Thanks so much for cheering me on! I hope so. I really want these books out there, but I also want them to be the best books they can be. So I’m happy to do revisions, especially when I’m seeing how much they improve the manuscript. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. jbw0123 says:

Fantastic Kourtney. I loved beginning of your novel — the one that got this close in the Amazon fiction contest. Fingers crossed for you.

• Thanks! LOL. Actually the beginning was one of the areas the agent asked me to work on. It was a bit too fast paced. I added a few more scenes and lengthened the existing ones. It went from 15 to 37 pages. But I think this version is better. Or at least I hope it is. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks so much for your support! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Elliot says:

It sounds very good, you can only try and see, and who knows…

• Exactly. All I can do is try and work really hard and hope. I’ve reached a place where I’m almost okay with the uncertainty. Because my goal isn’t just to get an agent, but to write the best book I can and do justice to the story and the characters. ๐Ÿ™‚

That’s wonderful news, Kourtney. Congratulations and good luck! And take Grandma H out to celebrate. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thanks Carrie! LOL. I’ve kinda given up on explaining the wins in writing to Grandma H. She just sees anything that doesn’t result in a paycheck as failure. It’s the older generation, I guess. Ah well, my parents are thrilled for me. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. klynwurth says:

I’m so glad you decided to share this! It’s great news and I’m so happy for you. May you rise like a bubble to the top of your potential..keep us posted, but only when you have time. Write away!

• Thanks Kelly! I figured I should talk about the possibilities even if I don’t know where they will lead. I love the imagery of me rising like a bubble–nice wordsmithing there! I plan to stay active on the blog, but just curtail my other social media stuff. The blog remains nearest and dearest to my heart. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. littletash says:

Congratulations! Both of these things sound exciting and full of promise. Yay! I’m glad you shared your news. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thanks! There are so many possibilities in the writing life, I’ve decided to embrace them as they come along and really appreciate them for what they are. Someone liked my full manuscript enough to give me in depth feedback–that’s such a validation of my work. And they are willing to reconsider my work after I make revisions–that signals a belief in the story. Catching an editor’s interest from 10 pages is a welcome surprise. Shows that looking for feedback can indeed open doors. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for being so supportive!

• littletash says:

No worries, you deserve it. And you’re absolutely right. I got told off by a friend yesterday for being too “big-picture oriented” and not enjoying the little successes.

• Aw, thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚ Ouch, sorry your friend told you off. That’s never a comfortable experience. Sometimes we need their perspective, I hope it ended up being helpful. I used to only focus on the big things, but when they aren’t happening, you can get down. Doubt yourself and your work. I decided I didn’t like writing when I was “losing” so I changed my perspective so I can enjoy writing even if I’m not getting the big wins yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

Milestones are there for celebrating. Woo hoo for you ๐Ÿ™‚ We hear so many stories of “instant” or “overnight” success. What a load of BS… that just sells sells news stories. Your news is the best kind of news. Work smart, work hard, make the most of opportunities, and you will eventually achieve… “The upcoming author, Kourtney Heintz, has hit the world with the success of her two new novels…” ๐Ÿ™‚

• I totally agree. When you get to a marker, even if you not sure where you are in the journey, you have to take the time to appreciate it. Seriously, those are wonderful but when you pick away at the news story, you find out someone had been writing for a while and had a near miss or two before they made it. AW, thanks. It’s definite positive news. The editor said I had “confident writing,” and had no real changes to my first ten pages. I was stunned. The agent and her assistant really got my story and were so on target about what needed work. I’m really lucky to have met these people. No matter what comes next, they made a world of difference in my writing journey just by believing in me. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Debra Kristi says:

I am thrilled for you, Kourtney! I’m so happy you shared the news. Keeping my fingers crossed! I’ll be looking for an update later this year.

• It’s weird because it’s not a real tangible big milestone like getting the agent or the publisher, but that can take years. So I decided I should celebrate the requests for manuscripts and the requests for revisions because those are half-mile stones. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks so much! I’ll definitely keep you updated.

13. Samir says:

How fantastic! I hope both pull through ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Wouldn’t that be AMAZING? I think I might faint or burst into nervous oh my god laughter. I’m just excited to have interest in my work. Validates all the hours I’ve been putting in on the laptop. ๐Ÿ™‚

14. Debra Eve says:

Wow, Kourney, that’s just awesome! Lots of work ahead, but great rewards too, I’m positive.

15. J.C.V. says:

Very exciting news! I am so glad that your dreams are coming true. You are proof dreams do come true. Keep up the good work!

• Thanks! I think that perseverance does pay off. Not giving up after x # of rejections. Revising and revising until you can’t do it again. And then doing it again. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Dreams can come true as long as you keep trying. That’s my hope anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

16. OMIGOSH! Thsi is UBER exciting stuff. Stop reading my dumb comment and get to work. So excitied for you!

• Thanks Jennifer! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m really excited to have opportunities and possibilities. Working hard. Pacing myself daily on revising. Lots of work but I have a schedule I’m sticking to so everything will get done. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Great idea to keep a schedule. Consider my fingers crossed until you get the GREAT news!

• It helped me draft a manuscript. So I figured best to make myself log a wordcount and page count every day. Kinda like a calorie counter. ๐Ÿ™‚ Though I seem to have better luck with the writing than the dieting. Thanks so much–lots of hope for a fantastic fall. ๐Ÿ™‚

17. Hurray! Kourtney, no agent would ask you for revision if she/he weren’t really really serious about wanting your manuscript. I think you have a big toe in the door, girl! I have my fingers and toes crossed for you, but I don’t think you’ll need it.

• That’s my hope Naomi. I am doing my best to address all her points and re-vision my manuscript. The further I get into it the more I see how her editing is improving the story and I bashfully hang my head and wonder where the manuscript would be without her input. ๐Ÿ™‚ 100 thankyous for crossing everything. ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Subtlekate says:

This is amazing news. I’m thrilled for you.

• Thanks! It’s been months of sending out cold queries to agents. ๐Ÿ™‚ Just chugging along and trying. Nothing overnight. But months of putting in the time and being open to revisions. ๐Ÿ™‚

19. I’m so happy to read this news!! Good on you! And I get the POV thing–just finished fixing most of mine, gah. It’s amazing when we get revisions that help the MS without robbing us of our voice or authenticity, eh? So excited to read your stuff! And congrats!

• Thanks El! I made a very bad POV call, that I truly believed was story dictated. I had first person POV for 183 pages in then switched to another first person POV for 60 pages, then alternated POV until the end of the book. That’s the massive change I’m undertaking. Alternating POV from the beginning. It really is working out well, it’s just a tremendous amount of work. So very true. When feedback helps you improve the manuscript while staying true to your voice, that’s a match made in heaven. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks! Will keep you updated on what happens in the fall!

• Thanks El! Oh my goodness did I make a bad POV decision. In my defense I truly thought it was story dictated, but I was in first person POV for 183 pages, then changed to another first person POV for 60 pages then alternated them until the end. Now I’m starting the alternating POV from the beginning. It’s making the story stronger and adding a whole new dimension and I could seriously kiss this person for such amazing feedback. She really got my story and pulled more of it out of me while allowing me to stay true to my voice. Hoping she loves these revisions as much as I do. ๐Ÿ™‚

That is fantastic news. Happy editing and I hope they pan out for you.

• Thanks Pete! I’m really glad I’ve revised manuscripts before because although it’s very scary, I know it’s doable. ๐Ÿ™‚ Fingers, toes, and veins are all crossed. ๐Ÿ˜‰

21. Kourtney, that is great!! Such encouraging and positive news, I couldn’t be more pleased for you. Sending happy writing vibes your way as you move on through this next happy leg of your journey to full on (NYT bestseller!) publication ๐Ÿ™‚
    anne xo

• Aw thanks so much Anne! it’s weird when you get a rejection but then the opportunity to resubmit. Part of you is bummed and part is stoked to have a second chance. The hardest part is the time needed for the agent’s advice to soak in so that I could see exactly how to implement the changes. Thanks for the happy vibes. Very hopeful, but also realize that things may not lead where I want. But the point is to stay the course and see how it all turns out. ๐Ÿ™‚

22. zelmare says:

This is exciting news, Kourtney! Wow! Good luck with both, I’m positive something will come from it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thanks Zelmare–it’s made August one of the best months this year. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m hopeful. I can see the manuscript transforming before my eyes and I’m stunned and grateful. ๐Ÿ™‚

23. Laura says: