Guest Post: Joya Fields on The Importance of Social Networking

Thank you, Kourtney, for inviting me to your blog today to chat about social networking and why Twitter and Facebook are essential writing tools. It’s great to be here and fun to be talking about such an interesting topic.

Published, or unpublished, an internet presence is essential for writers in this fast-paced world. Twitter and Facebook accounts enable writers to connect with other authors, share rejection woes, release joy, and connect with readers.

How social networking sites help writers:

1. The most important reason for writers to have social networking accounts is because editors and agents want to know you will be able to help promote your book. Often, they will require you to include your social networking links in your query letter.

2. Social networking gives you the opportunity to network with other authors. Often authors post requests from their publishers on Twitter and Facebook pages and spread the word about a call for submissions before the information is listed on the publisher’s website.

3. Twitter and Facebook accounts make it easy for readers to find and contact writers.

4. Social networking sites help writers publicize blog visits and published material. Lots of writers use Twitter and Facebook and they are some of the most generous people around. If you mention your blog visit or a new release and ask people to retweet the information and/or send them to your link, you potentially reach thousands of people. If only a few followers retweet your post, you’ve likely reached 5,000 more potential visitors to your blog. When I announced my debut novel, BENEATH THE SURFACE, I received invitations from Twitter users who offered to host me on their blogs to help promote my book.

5. Editor requests and tips. Lots of agents and editors are on Twitter. Frequently, they’ll post their needs. Recently, an editor with a New York house tweeted that she needed paranormal romance submissions.

6. Do: Use your account frequently. At least a few times a week. It’s a back-and-forth conversation and you don’t want followers to feel like it’s one-sided. Do: Be entertaining. Let you personality shine through. It’s important to remain professional, but have fun, too. Don’t: Only post when you want people to do or buy. Posts start to look more like ads when you bombard people with requests every day.

Want to learn more about using Twitter and Facebook? One of the best sites for information is Emlyn Chand’s website http://www.novelpublicity.com/blog/marketing/

Have fun as you promote yourself, your books, and make new friends.

Find Joya on the web: http://www.joyafields.com/

Follow Joya on Twitter: @joyafields

Excerpt from Beneath the Surface:

“I…I can walk you back to your own room before I head to mine.” Garrett’s voice broke as he whispered.

Brooke swallowed hard. She couldn’t do this right now with him. Too many obstacles stood in their way. But as she looked in his somber eyes, she realized none of those complications were bigger than her need for Garrett.

“Let’s go to your room,” she said, her voice shaking. She moved her hands inside his shirt and ran them over his tight abs and chest. Heat soared through her body at the feel of him. “Together…”

Buy links for Beneath the Surface:

Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Beneath-Surface-Joya-Fields/dp/1612170048/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325690766&sr=8-2

The Wild Rose Press http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=191&products_id=4738

Bio

Joya Fields has had over 100 stories and articles published in local and national magazines and her debut novel, Beneath the Surface, a romantic suspense, and Love Delivered, a romantic comedy novella, are now available. www.joyafields.com

Beneath the Surface trailer:

This entry was posted in guest blogs, Uncategorized, Writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Guest Post: Joya Fields on The Importance of Social Networking

1. Joya Fields says:

Hi Kourtney! Thanks very much for hosting me today about such a fun topic. 🙂

2. Beth Werrell says:

Great blog post, Joya! Can’t wait to read this!
    Beth W.

3. Jayda says:

Hi Joya! Love your book trailer. I’m just starting at social networking. Do you think I should try to be everywhere or focus on one aspect and gradually build to other things? I’m just worried it will cut into my writing time too much.

• Joya Fields says:

Hi Jayda,
      That’s an awesome question! I suggest you start small. Writing is still your priority, and social networking can easily eat up your time. I’d suggest making an account at Goodreads (would only take you ten minutes or so), and then making an account at Twitter. Then spend about 15 minutes a day, if possible, sending 3 tweets per day, and learning about Twitter. After you’re comfortable with it, add a Facebook account and get comfortable with it.
      Some authors spend hours a day on social networking, but one very productive author friend of mine says she writes a few hours before she goes on social networking sites, and limits herself (using a timer) to 30 minutes a day of social networking.
      Thanks for your compliment about the trailer, and good luck with your wriitng, Jayda! 🙂

4. Nancy Weeks says:

I can’t wait to read Beneath the Surface. Great tips on social networking, Joya. I’m taking notes and pushing myself to step out of my comfort zone and put myself out there.

• Joya Fields says:

Hi Nancy,
      Thanks for your excitement about Beneath the Surface! You’re so right about the need for writers to push themselves out of their comfort zones. Social networking is a great start. So glad you’re on Twitter now. Keep up the great work and thanks for stopping by today. 🙂

5. Such practical insight. Thanks, Joya! And thanks, Kourtney, for introducing us.

Social media brings so many opportunities to writers… The more we connect with other readers and writers, the better, right? I love Joya’s point on not posting only to encourage sales. Such pushiness definitely leads me running in the opposite direction! 😉

• Glad you enjoyed Joya’s post. I totally agree with you. I really appreciate that you blog is about your life and your thoughts. Once I got to know you through your blog, it honestly made me super curious about your book. I’m looking forward to reading it someday!

• Joya Fields says:

Hi August,
      You’re so right about how connecting with other readers and writers helps us in many ways. So true about not only posting to encourage sales. I’m a big believer in “paying it forward” and helping others, so I RT and post about other authors often. I do it to help them, but then it often helps me, too, because I gain new followers. Love the way that works!! 🙂
      Thanks very much for stopping by to comment today, August. 🙂

6. Laura says:

Hi, Joya,

Great explanations. Guess I’ll have to tweet more!

7. Joya Fields says:

HI Laura,
    Glad you liked the explanations. I’ve heard 3-5 tweets a day is all you need to do to stay active on Twitter. You can even write all the tweets at once and schedule them to go out. Good luck! And thanks so much for stopping by. 🙂

8. Teresa H says:

Great info, my MRW friend. Love your trailer. Can’t wait to read it. -Teresa

• Joya Fields says:

Hi Teresa!
      Glad you found the information helpful. Hope to see you on Twitter soon (hint, hint). Thanks so much for your compliment about Beneath the Surface trailer and for being excited about the book release.
      As always, I appreciate your support, my friend, and thanks for stopping by to read and comment. 🙂

9. It's the little things that make life great.berry says:

Love info.

10. It's the little things that make life great.berry says:

Can’t leave comment. Kicks me out. Loved guest Blogger.

11. Raven Marlow says:

Reblogged this on Insanity Reigns Supreme and commented:
    This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much for your wonderful post!

12. rogerdengle says:

Hi Kourtney,
    I read Joya’s Guest Post tonight while searching for ways to promote my own first publication, The Lost Flip Flop – Misadventures in La Mosquitia, and I was impressed with the knowledge the two of you have put at my fingertips. This type thing will help me lots. I am planning on following your blog Kourtney and a “Like” to boot. Thanks for the help.

13. rogerdengle says:

Reblogged this on misadventuresinlamosquitia and commented:
    Very good notes about Social Media and its importance in what we’re doing. Thanks Joya and Kourtney!

14. Joya Fields says:

Wow, thanks for the reblogs, Roger and Raven! Very kind of you. Thansk again for hosting me, Kourtney. 🙂

15. pleonasty says:

Some great advice! But you have to be careful with social networking sites.

• I agree, everyone should be careful with what they put online. It’s out there forever. But I think Joya raises important points about why writers need social media and how important it is to have a presence that you control online.