Upcoming Events: Baltimore and Wolcott

IMG_8304

Upcoming Author Events

I’ve got two author events coming up in the next two weekends.

On Saturday September 27th, I will be at the Baltimore Book Festival ย from 12 pm-8pm in the Author Tent at Bicentennial Plaza. I’ll have a giveaway you can sign up for to win author goodies and a free ebook.

I will be selling and signing books in the tent and donating 15% of the profits to the Baltimore Book Festival. Please stop by to chat, it can get awfully lonely in a tent for 8 hours.

On October 4th, I’ll be at Walsh’s Market in Wolcott from 10 am-3pm signing and selling books and also selling signed photography from the book. I’ll be donating 30% of the day’s profits to the Wolcott Food Pantry. Stop by and pick up a great book and support an awesome cause!

***

Six Train Sequel Drafting

I’ve drafted 34k words of the sequel. It’s a first draft so it’s still coming together.

Drafting is always a rollercoaster of emotions. Some days, I love what I’ve done. Other days, I know I’m going to need to completely rewrite it. I doubt myself. What I’m doing. Where I’m going.

I’ve taken a few days to revise this past week. I started to lose the flow of the story. To feel like it was escaping me. Going back through the 180 pages I’d written, I fixed things. I connected more deeply with my characters. And I think it’s made a big difference. At least I do today, anyways.

***

Intern Comes on Board

With three series in the works, I realized I could really use some help with everything. I reached out to an amazing, smart young lady and she has agreed to intern with me this year.

***

Query Wars Continue

I’ve been sending out 3 queries a day 5 days a week since August. I’ve gotten a great response to the query. More fulls and partials than I’ve ever had requested on a manuscript.

Now I’m waiting to hear back. Time seems to pass so slowly when you are waiting. I’ll swear it’s been 8 weeks, but my query spreadsheet says only 2 weeks since I sent something out.

This entry was posted in author appearance, book festival and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Upcoming Events: Baltimore and Wolcott

1. This weekend sounds like the perfect time of year to sit in a tent for 8 hours. At least you won’t be sweating your behind off. Hopefully the wind and rain will cooperate ๐Ÿ™‚
    You’ve given me so much confidence that revising as you go is okay. I go through the same roller coaster of emotions when drafting. Over the weekend one of my critique partners told me he was really hoping I’d share part of my new ms with him (the one I started drafting in July Camp NaNo). Against my better judgment, I sent him my first 5 pages with the warning that it was a first draft and I hadn’t revised a single word! I never share first drafts with anyone. Well I was super-pleased when he emailed to say he really liked it (“really” was underlined). Even though I’ve stalled for a while to reassess and cut parts that weren’t working, he helped remove some of my self-doubt. Maybe it’s not total crap.
    I’m excited to hear about your query wars! Glad it’s going so well. And an intern? Wow. I think you’ve officially hit the big time. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Hopefully the weather cooperates. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s the longest event I’ve ever done. Usually I keep it to 5 hours. This will be an endurance test. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It’s how I wrote Six Train. I would draft at night and revise on the subway the next day. It helped me get the words down but also gave me the ability to write crap because I knew it wasn’t going to be permanent. ๐Ÿ™‚ This time around, I’m writing 80 pages and pausing to revise for a few days. It’s working well for me.

I’ve broken that rule too. I used to have one friend who I would read the first draft to or send sections. As long as they understand it’s not about critiquing but giving support, it works really well!

Thanks. I’m not sure this one will get an agent. But that’s okay. I’ll revise and submit again. That’s just how it goes for me.

Yes, she’s from Butternut and will be so helpful making sure I get the details right. I’m so thrilled she could help me out!

I know what you mean about each day bringing forth a different mindset toward our writing. One day it’s gold; the next it’s crapola. Have fun at your events!

3. Jamie Dedes says:

๐Ÿ™‚ You’ve been/are busy. Good for you! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Yes isn’t that just the case Kourtney when we are waiting it seems such a long while.. That old wives tale about a Watched Kettle never boils always stuck with me..
    Good luck in your forthcoming book signing events… And sending you a Hug to keep you company on your journey ๐Ÿ™‚
    Love and Blessings Sue xox

5. Mayumi-H says:

Love what you say about reconnecting with your sequel draft, Kourtney. It harkens back to your earlier post about your process, but, even more, it shows us how much you just plain old *love* your characters and world, and that’s so inspiring to me. <3 I adore that you have such a deep connection to them: it really comes through on the page, too. When I read Six Train to Wisconsin, I can feel that you know these people inside-out. It makes each step of their journeys that much more powerful.

Baltimore’s Inner Harbor area is a hopping place to be. Hopefully, you can step away for a bit in that 8-hour day to enjoy some scrummy seafood. Or, get your tent buddy to grab you some and bring it by. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Thanks Mayumi. They live and breathe inside me. And I have to feel everything they feel to be true to them on the page. Sometimes it’s frustrating, sometimes it’s exhausting. In the end, it’s usually very fulfilling. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m there Friday to enjoy the festival and Saturday to work, so I should get a little fun in. I have dinner plans with blog buddies too so I’ll definitely grab some good grub! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. TBM says:

In a matter of minutes I can feel twenty different emotions when it comes to my writing. Such a roller coaster. Good luck with the queries. Waiting is never easy.

• Glad to hear that actually. Makes me feel less crazy. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks. I’m almost at that point where I throw my hands up in the air and ask the universe to take over. I wish I could send the queries out and someone else could keep track of the rejections and requests. It would be so much better for my sense of self worth.

7. diannegray says:

It’s great to keep busy, but I hate those ‘waiting times’ – I think Einstein was right, time is relative ๐Ÿ˜€

This is the sort of steady progress that leads to “over night” success stories. Your intern is very fortunate, she will learn a lot from you ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Chris Edgar says:

Wow, it sounds like this sequel is going to be research-intensive! Or is the intern there for tasks like proofreading? I’ve contemplated for a while whether I need one as well, so that is of personal interest.

• Somewhat. I want to make sure I get the details right since more of the story is happening in places around the town and she lives there so she can be my eyes and ears on the ground. She’s a really smart young lady so I’m hoping to give her a mix of responsibilities. She’ll be helping out with press releases and marketing materials too. Brainstorming event ideas for signings. We’ll see what she likes working on too. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Good luck with the upcoming events Kourtney. It must feel like you’re having some success when you get an intern ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Aquileana says:

Hi Kourt!,
    Great to know about the upcoming events and mainly about your work on Six Train’ sequel… Spring have just started here… But isn’t (your) autumn a wonderful season to write (and write, and write?)…
    Hugs & best wishes, Aquileana ๐Ÿ˜›

• Yes, I’m at 35k or 206 pages right now on the sequel. It still has lots to go and then several rounds of revisions, but it’s finally in process. Yup, it’s fall here. I like to do drafting in the fall/winter when I’m traveling way less. It’s easier to buckle down when there aren’t tons of interruptions.

12. An intern, huh? Wow, you are moving up in the world! ๐Ÿ˜‰ In all seriousness, what a great idea — and what a fun learning experience for your intern.

• She’s unpaid so it’s got to be about giving her an awesome learning experience. ๐Ÿ™‚ I thought it would be a cool internship for someone in high school a great way to get some real world experience but not have real world time pressures. ๐Ÿ™‚