What The Girl Who Saved Ghosts Means to Me

I don’t think I can explain how much the new book means to me. But I’m going to try.

It’s the reason I fought my way back from the vertigo. When my physical therapy required me to do the very things that made me sick and brought on the vertigo episodes every day, giving up would have been so easy. But I couldn’t. Because I wouldn’t abandon this book. I had a commitment to the publisher and my readers to get it done this year and I would see it through.

When a loved one’s illness has sent me in an emotional tailspin, this book has been here to hide inside. To escape my own emotions, I delve into Kat and Evan’s. They have kept me sane and made me strong enough to face what is happening. Sometimes they are all that remains of normal.

I have gnawed my nails to the nubs over the plot. The emotional beats. The character development. Rewritten each sentence. Agonized over each word. Because this is not just another story. This is THE story that’s been inside of me for decades. The first story I ever wanted to tell. And I have this one chance to get it right. To do justice to the characters who have lived inside me since I was 11 years old.

I pour everything I have into this book. Because it’s not simply a book. It’s my art. It’s magic and it’s blood and it’s sweat and it’s tears. It’s sacrifice and it’s joy. Everything, everything that has impacted me, shaped me, torn me apart, it’s all there in those pages. I’ve taken the messy in my existence and made something pretty out of it.

So this book that’s coming out in 9 weeks, it’s not just another book I wrote. It’s an expression of my soul. It’s my art. It’s my legacy. When I die, this is all that will remain.

This entry was posted in novels, Personal, wrtiting and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to What The Girl Who Saved Ghosts Means to Me

Sounds like you’ve put your heart and soul into this one. Readers will surely recognize that and it will be a richer experience for them as a result.

• Kourtney says:

Thanks. This book for some reason feels most special to me right now. It may be because I’m working on it or because it’s been with me through this turbulent year. I hope so I really want for Kat and Evan to come alive and step off the page for readers. Despite how many times I’ve read it, I still enjoy reading it–I take that as a good sign. 🙂

2. Beautiful description of the effort and soul that went into this book Kourtney.

Having had the privilege to read the ARC, I can honestly say you’ve succeeded, Kourtney. You’ve been dealing with so much as you bring this story to publication—I’m not sure how many writers would find their way through the difficulties. I love the further development of the characters, the history, and the evolving story line. I’m already looking forward to Book 3. 😉

• Kourtney says:

Thank you so much. That means the world to me to hear it! The vertigo has been hard. Every wall I hit, I have to keep hitting until I get through it. The family illness has ripped through me in ways I wasn’t expecting and sometimes all I can do is hide in this story and reread it. Thank you. I’m actually fleshing out notes on Book 3. I have so many ideas and I’m trying to get them all down and then I think should this be in book 4? 😉

4. Wow–thanks for this look inside. I’m sure your passion is what has made for the positive response so far!

5. equipsblog says:

I admire your honesty and forthrightness in your post. I am going through some minor PT for arthritic knees. The PT is making the knees hurt more than usual. I was thinking about quitting but after reading your post I won’t call it quits yet. Thanks for the timely reminder to persevere.

• Kourtney says:

Thanks. I’m glad my post helped. I remind myself the only way out is through. Push onward and eventually you will get to the other side of this health problem. 🙂