Why You Shouldn’t Sleep in 5 Different Beds in a Week

IMG_3621

1)You keep waking up with no idea where you are so you resort to having night lights.

2) You find yourself laying in bed #4 exhausted after traveling from 7:30 am to 11:30 pm and you can’t move. So the self pity tears pool in your ears and now you can’t hear.

3) Your personality frays so much that you start muttering loudly about why you “hate this hellhole” while you try to find food at the train station.

4) Your well of energy is pretty much dry. So you have to drink caffeine like a camel loading up for a long trip.

5) You realize how many people talk at you and not with you and it starts to sound like Greek. Long Greek monologues.

6) You want to cry about everything. And you know it’s ridiculous but that doesn’t seem to matter.

7) You think candy in bed is a smart idea until you wake up with wrappers surrounding you.

8) You start to feel like a penned in goat.

This entry was posted in Promotion, Travel, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Why You Shouldn’t Sleep in 5 Different Beds in a Week

1. My husband’s job is more than 50% travel. I don’t know how he does it. The nice thing is, when we travel together as a family, we can take advantage of all the perks that guys with his “status” enjoy (free hotel rooms, upgrades to first class, hopping in those short lines reserved for people like him…)

And a quick update: I should have your ms back to you in about 2 weeks! xo

• That’s rough. I used to have to go somewhere for a a week and then come home on weekends when I was in consulting–that’s not nearly as bad as moving around every couple nights. Those are definitely great perks. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yay! Thanks so much! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Ok, breathe deeply, now close your eyes and go to your happy place. Everything will be alright…feeling better now? ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Time for a re-charge of the batteries I think…

4. Well, if it makes you feel any better, my video has your book in it! (albeit back to front..) ๐Ÿ˜€ – http://limebirdwriters.co.uk/2013/09/30/its-our-biirrttthhhddaayyy-competitions-giveaways-and-fun/

• Aw thank you! What a cute video too! And happy 2nd birthday to Limebirds! Thanks for making my book part of your celebration. I’m definitely better than I was when I got back from all the traveling. A week at home is getting my head back on straight.

5. Mae Clair says:

Okay, that just made me thoroughly exhausted. I don’t know how you did it, but it sounds like you definitely need a break to recharge and un-stress. Reward yourself with some down time. You deserve it!

• Yeah, the downside of hitting your limits. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m definitely catching up on sleep. Don’t get much downtime, have to prep for the next event, but I did let myself watch more tv and lay in bed for a while each day.

6. I used to travel 4-5 days a week. It’s hard. Just the thought of airport food…friends don’t understand why I’d rather eat a granola bar brought from home. Always grab the treadmill – that walking does soothe.
    Night lights keep you from bashing toes! So worth it.
    Hang in there ( and sit in the sun somewhere if you can 5-10 minutes – it helps)

• I’ve traveling for fun with a companion and moved around a few times in a week, but when there are two, you split all the responsibility. This traveling alone for work was too much. Yup, definite plus to night lights. Sleep and home cooked meals help so much. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. LOL The trials of the modern day author! And a fun-seeking traveler, it seems. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m still laughing at #5… ๐Ÿ˜€

• I knew you’d understand completely. I am in awe of your schedule. ๐Ÿ™‚ At the time it all felt rough, but as I relayed the events to my crit partner, we both started laughing and realized how funny it was too.

8. Lori D says:

That list is actually poetic. Makes me feel your weary anguish. Hope things settle down for you soon. I hope you will take some time to relax when the tour is done.

• Thank you Lori. I got a breather–almost two weeks at home before I hit the road again. ๐Ÿ™‚ Next trip includes a few fun days in Toronto too. Thank goodness. That’s my hope. A few days off in late October would be heavenly.

Oh, that’s sad. You’re like those rock stars on tour. Just please don’t turn to their vices. That would not make for a very productive Kourtney. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wow that is a LOT of travelling. Hope you manage to catch-up on sleep soon ๐Ÿ™‚

11. The only thing worse than too much work, is too little… you’re on the path, Kourtney.

12. Laurel Leigh says:

Oh my, this post made me laugh out loud. Maybe we can all relate to the goat! I hope you are soon back in your own comfy bed.

I hope you are catching up on sleep and eating some good food. Those are so important to good health, along with plenty of water during the day. And it’s good that you’re letting off some steam about the difficulty of the schedule. Keeping that stress bottled up wouldn’t be good for you, either!

• I try to keep a positive attitude about stuff, but I wanted to also show that things are tough and I get frustrated and I lose it sometimes. It’s all part of my author journey. ๐Ÿ™‚ Yes, been eating better and resting more. But the work never slows or stops. It’s just about me building in breaks. Yeah–it is very important that I express myself even in train stations. ๐Ÿ˜‰

14. Glad you’re back home safely. I’m sorry to say, I saw your title and my brain hit the gutter…. But then, it’s a common occurrence. Seriously, though, I’m sorry all the traveling has left you out of sorts. I hope you get a break soon.

• Me too. I kinda did that on purpose–trying to grab attention. LOL. I never traveled quite so hard before. It’s interesting to see how much faster I reach my breaking point than usual. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Now that I’m home, I can laugh about how crazy it all felt. Like when I got lost going from the metro to my hotel (it was only 3 blocks) and had to duck into another hotel and ask directions 3 times to get to my hotel. I was so tired and I couldn’t think so I’d just remember the first few steps each person told me. It was ridiculous. And finally a nice concierge took pity on me and walked me half way there.

• I liked the title. I was gonna list benefits of sleeping in 5 different beds, but I didn’t want you to think that I didn’t feel badly that you had a rough week. Timing is everything in comedy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And that concierge? Way to go above and beyond in customer service! That doesn’t happen very often anymore.

Yup, hate it hate hate it. I like my own bed, except I have 2 own beds and sometimes I wake up wondering which one I’m in. Hotel rooms, airports, trains stations and fast food are the downside on the travel economy of scale. The upside is why we travel ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy a few days at home and reconnect, then you’ll be better prepared for happy trails again.

• LOL. That’s so hard about splitting your time in places. The logistics exhausted me, having to coordinate all these steps and take care of food. I usually travel with a friend and suddenly it was all on me all the time. Exactly. I’m doing better. Preparing for the next trips. ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Mayumi-H says:

This post is much less saucy than I was expecting from the title….

Hang in there, Kourtney! Hopefully, you’ll be back in your own bed soon!

Ack. Sounds like the first few weeks with a newborn.

Hang in there!

• Aw thanks. I’m back home and much better now. I was telling my crit partner about the travelrama and we realized there were some really over the top crazy moments worth giggling over.

18. Christi says:

All of that travel sounds exhausting! At least you’ve got the other goats to keep you company. ๐Ÿ˜‰