How The Time Traveler’s Wife Saved Me

timetravelwife

I was feeling pretty annihilated in October and November. As you’ve read, my life from 2010-2012 revolved utterly around my writing. And my writing was going nowhere. Which meant I was going nowhere.

At least in my own mind. And we all know how powerful thoughts are. Powerful enough to warp reality.

I got out of bed everyday. I did all the things on my to-do list. I just wasn’t feeling it anymore. I wasn’t feeling me anymore.

Things were losing their point and I was sinking into my own self-imposed unhappiness.

That’s when I went into the city for a week and read The Time Traveler’s Wife.

This book destroyed me emotionally. But it helped me find myself again. Reach inside and pull me back to the surface.

Remembering all the pain, the loss, the love, and the laughter.

Touching on the abandonment I’d felt so acutely that I had to disengage to survive.

And it all rushed back.

The emotions flooded my mind.

I cried through most of this book.

But I think it’s because of how beautiful it is. How evocative it became. How deeply I was sucked into their world and able to re-access my own.

I can’t talk about this book without getting choked up. I hope that never goes away. I hope it forever tugs at my heart and makes my eyes blur with tears.

Because this is the kind of book I dream of writing. The kind of emotion I hope to one day bleed onto the page.

This is a book that altered the fabric of my life.

It is because of this book that I am excited about my future again.

This entry was posted in Book Review, Personal, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to How The Time Traveler’s Wife Saved Me

1. Good!! So glad to hear that you loved this and that most of all, you’re feeling better!!

2. I’m so glad you were able to tap back into your inner self!

3. kford2007 says:

Inspiration is all around us. I’m glad you found yours between the covers of a great book.

4. I’m so glad you’ve reclaimed your enthusiasm. Writing is a tough business and it’s horrific if we’re not enthusiastic. take care

• Me too.:) Writing is amazing, trying to get published is soul stealing. I try to separate them in my head. Otherwise I’d stop writing because I’d think that was the problem. ๐Ÿ™‚ Take care!

5. winsomebella says:

Glad to read of your renewed enthusiasm……..and will put this book on my list too!

• Thanks. I kinda pulled back a bit in the fall because I was so miserable inside. I didn’t want to spew it everywhere. But it’s over and I’m back to me. It’s a definite must read. But only in the privacy of your house for the last half. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. berry says:

This sounds phenomenal. Must read. Kind of in the dumps. Need something to pull me out.

7. Cat Forsley says:

Kourtney ……………
    all my heart xo

8. You WILL write this kind of book now that you have your mojo back. While you’re working on it, you can get some recognition for your hard work. I just named you as a recipient of the “Blog of the Year” award: http://audreykalman.wordpress.com/2012/12/21/warm-and-fuzzy.

You will write a book like that, of that I have no doubt. Few are as dedicated as you. And I agree, it was a great read.

10. Well, Kourtney, I am now going to have to read this book. I am so glad that you are back on track, and feeling better. Best wishes for the holiday season, and a bright new year.

I’m glad you’ve found your way back to your enthusiasm. I think life will always sidetrack us at some point, more so for some than others, but we all have to find our way through it. May 2013 lead all of us to a renewed spirit for pursuing our goals.

• That last line is the perfect New Year’s toast! Beautifully said JM! Your continuous support helped me soldier on through the rough patches. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for making my blog matter. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. jbw0123 says:

I loved the Time Traveler’s Wife, too. Amazing how books pull us back when nothing else can. Keep at it. Your excerpt that made to the Amazon contest finals was really, really good. You’ll get there. Happy holidays. Say hi to Grandma H.

• It’s really cool. Especially when the right book comes into your hands at the right time. Thank you. I really love that book. I’ve submitted to small presses, but I think it will be indie published by me in the Spring. ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy Holidays. Will do!

13. Having such an effect on a reader is the gift of a great writer. You’ve made me interested in the book. Good luck on your writing. I’ve also found it a very up and down process.

• I’m so glad to hear I piqued your interest Rebecca. It’s a beautiful evocative novel. Thanks. It really is a tough slog. Some days you are so full of hope and others days closer to eviscerated. ๐Ÿ™‚

14. This is the power, the pleasure, the purpose of good books. I agree – loved the book also.

15. Had to come by to read your post. Will be finding that one in the library..need something to feed on right now.
    Writing a book is one thing – but to write something that impacts another – touches their soul and being – now that is something to aspire to.
    Thanks for sharing

• Aw thanks for dropping by! It is soul food. And also great for stripping away all the gunk clogging up your emotional outlets. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Exactly. I want to write a book that resonates. I hope I have done that on some level with my novel. I aspire to the level Audrey reached in The Time Traveler’s Wife. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m so glad you found the book you needed in the moment you needed it. I loved that book, too, not just for the story but also for how beautifully she wrote it. It’s the kind of writing and story to aspire to, which I have no doubt you will.

• Yeah it really was perfect timing! Her writing blows me away. She uses telling but so well you don’t notice or mind. She is a very talented writer. Picked up her new book to read in the next year. Thanks my newest book is more commercial. I find my writing shifts to fit the story. I’d like to write another more literary book. ๐Ÿ™‚

17. Pingback: The Holiday Giving Continues… « theinnerwildkat

18. I just wanted to stop by and let you know…I’ve nominated you for Blog Of The Year 2012. Enjoy!

19. klynwurth says:

I’m glad this lifted your spirits and it sounds like something I’d enjoy. I believe you have a lot to offer, Kourtney, You’ve already uplifted me, more than once. You might also like this: http://beyondthemargins.com/2012/12/the-write-stuff/ –it made me feel stronger as a person and as a writer.
    Take care, writer extraordinaire…

• Thanks Kelly. It really shifted so much inside me. On my good days, I really think my words might matter. Aw, I am so glad to hear that. You do the same for me. I’m really proud of you for putting your stuff out there. It’s the hardest part of writing. Thanks for the link. It definitely reminded me that this is a marathon not a sprint. And I have to learn to pace myself. And sometimes that means stepping back from things. Right now, it’s about revising the third manuscript and laying the groundwork to self pub the second book. ๐Ÿ™‚

All my best,
      Kourtney

I’m back tracking through missed posts… I saw the title of the post while I was away and knew I had to read it – it’s just taken a while to get there. I love TTW, and also sobbed my way through it. It’s good to feel. I think we keep our day to day life emotions in check and let ourselves feel over books & films because they aren’t real, it’s safe. I’m so glad you let it spill into and shift the real you.

• Aw thanks Elladee. I needed that book at that moment more than I needed water. It helped me shift so much that needed shifting. I will forever be grateful to Audrey Niffenegger for that!