Update on Resolutions

Since we’re approaching the middle of the year, I thought I would check in on my resolutions. Sadly, the best of intentions has not led to the best of actions.

1. Lose 30 lbs and keep it off. —Not much progress here. Lost ten gained ten. Lost 15 gained 15. Pretty much net net of zero.
  2. Exercise 4-5 days per week. —I have managed to stick to this since February. So go me!
  3. Follow a low carb eating regimen.–I have my good days. And my bad weeks.ย
  4. Edit my YA manuscript and submit to 30 agents.–Edited the YA manuscript and submitted to 15 agents so far.
  5. Submit my adult manuscript to 50 agents. —Submitting adult manuscript to agents. I’m near the 30 agent mark.
  6. Finish drafting my third manuscript.–Drafted 51,300 words to date. Should be done drafting in June.
  7. Edit my third manuscript.–Have to finish it first. This is more of a fall project.
  8. Spend more time playing with my dog, Emerson.–I’ve been playing with Emerson more. Score!
  9. Go to Hawaii or Germany.–Doesn’t look likely this year. But I am going to CA which is beachy and warm and has good wine.

So there’s been progress in pretty much all my goals. And the realization that some may not happen this year. Some have been replaced by newer goals.

All in all, I’m content with my progress.

My neck is still acting up so I am dictating my blogs this week. I need to curb my typing for a while, so if I’m not commenting on your blog this week, please know I’m resting my neck. ๐Ÿ™‚

This entry was posted in Personal, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Update on Resolutions

1. Cat Forsley says:

MUCH LOVE K
    HOORAY FOR CA !
    HOPE YOUR NECK GETS BETTER SOON XOXOXO

2. That’s an impressive list of achievements! You really do have self-discipline, which I admire so much. I didn’t make any resolutins this year, and that was primarily because I’ve never managed to keep them in the past, so I knew there was little point. Now I kind of want to try though. I think I’m going to make some midsummer resolutions on June 21st instead and see how that goes – I always have more energy in summer so maybe that will help me stick to them!

• Thanks. Last year I set 5 goal. I figured try for more this year. My self-discipline is so-so. Some things I can achieve others I’m really not doing so well with. ๐Ÿ™‚ But I’m trying. That sounds cool to set some mid year goals and see how it goes. ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck!

3. Yatin says:

I see a major problem right here. Youโ€™ve got a huge list of resolution & donโ€™t have a cover-up resolution. If I had a large list like your, my cover-up resolution would be, 10) โ€œnot to sweat on half met resolutionsโ€. Well for a disciplined person like that wonโ€™t help either, it will just add another.
    Well I guess your primary resolution now should be to get back the neck in shape. Hope you feel better. ๐Ÿ™‚

• LOL. Kinda impossible for me. But I gave myself a year so hopefully I’ll have more movement on each resolution by December. Seriously, need to get my neck to calm down. Have you ever tried to relax when you’re in pain? It’s really not easy. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. take care of yourself Kourtney. and postponing some things can be very good for us.

5. crubin says:

I like how you hold yourself accountable for your goals by sharing them on your blog. Don’t think I’d be brave enough to do that. And even if I did, I’d probably have to make some first. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Thanks! I really didn’t want to update on them because there hasn’t been as much headway as I should have made. But this is the only way to keep myself on track. Publicly admitting my successes and misses. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. zelmare says:

Well done! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. You are rockin’ it with your writing, Kourtney! And I love that you’ve prioritized and stuck with your goal of more Emerson time. ๐Ÿ™‚ If you ever want support with your wellness goals, I’m here for ya.

• Thanks August! I went to the doctor today and he gave me a great calorie counter app for my phone. Hoping this helps. ๐Ÿ™‚ He’s not set on me doing low carb, so I’m going to try calorie counting instead. I appreciate the offer. You are a nutrition and wellness guru. I may send some questions your way. ๐Ÿ™‚

Back and neck injuries can be slow to heal. And it’s easy to exacerbate them sometimes. Hope you can get into see the physical therapist to get some relief!

And I think you’ve made good progress on the resolutions. We can’t always succeed at everything, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t reach for goals.

• My neck seems to be my stress point. Whenever enough tough stuff happens, my neck locks up. I got the physical therapy script and muscle relaxants today. Hoping they help me get things back to normal. Aw thanks. I was mad at myself for not doing more on certain ones. But at least I mad headway on several of them. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. berry says:

So sorry to hear about ur neck. Rest. Unlar.

10. Good on you, Kourtney for holding yourself accountable to the most important person of all: YOU! It sounds like you’re doing really well, to date, especially on the writing/submission front. Keep at it! Looking forward to hearing more about all of your progress and successes ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thanks! I’m frustrated by my weight problem, but I know that is about me not focusing and taking charge and committing to it. I’ve been trying really hard with my two finished manuscripts. I figure I will query them a few more months and then take a break. Hope to have successes to talk about, but at least there is always progress! ๐Ÿ™‚

11. CC MacKenzie says:

I think the hardest thing for us as authors is to knuckle down to the discipline of regular exercise. So well done, you!!!! But with the neck, you need to take care. The trouble with neck injuries is that they take time. Sometimes they get worse before they get better. Doing upper body moves so you don’t get ‘wound up’ as you’re sitting at a keyboard is crucial. Might be an idea to check out your posture when you’re sitting too. Also you’ve done a lot of travelling and I don’t know about you, but I find that throws me out at times. Get well soon!

• Thanks CC! You’re very right, I tend to hunch forward on the computer. And I’ve spent too much time on my computer, so I’m massively restricting online time for a few weeks. It was also massive stress building up and tightening everything up. Sometimes weeks after something happens, I realize how much it really upset me. I had a lovely crying fit today and I think I have a better handle on what stresses blew up in my neck. I’m starting physical therapy and taking muscle relaxants. I’m hoping in a few weeks things will be improved! ๐Ÿ™‚ Really appreciate your advice. And I’m going to work on destressing myself. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Great progress with your writing! I haven’t the courage to actually record goals.

Rest that neck!

• Thanks Carol! It’s tough to do. I hate admitting I didn’t complete a goal. But I can console myself with having 6 more months to complete everything. ๐Ÿ™‚ Going to cut the online time for a couple weeks and hope that helps. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Good on you my friend!! And please do rest that neck of yours! We’ll still be here when you feel better!

14. Emerson is most probably delighted with the outcome! It is hard to find out you’re not exactly where you want to be, but sometimes, if you’re doing the best you can to get there that’s enough.

• He is. ๐Ÿ™‚ Though the poor little guy keeps getting an infection on his paw. He’s on a second round of antibiotics. That means more mommy attention as I clean his paw 2x a day. Thanks for the perspective. I am trying. Even if I miss the mark. ๐Ÿ™‚ I can always try again.

15. Hope you are feeling better. Stress is such a problem.(Many carry their shoulders higher when stressed – which messes with the neck.)
    Hope Emerson is healing, too.
    You’ve done so much on your list – impressive! Seriously impressive!
    The weight thing Is so hard – it takes forever – eventually exercise will do the trick – if I walk, I can keep a hold on it. But it is discouraging and hard.
    California – and playing with Emerson both sound like great rewards!
    Hang in there. You’re doing great…it’s ok to rest a bit!

• Thanks for your support. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m doing what I can to help my neck–medication, physical therapy, massages. Trying to spend more time reading and away from the laptop. Might be a couple weeks before I can touch my WIP. I’m worried about his pad, it looks like a cyst or a boil. And the vet doesn’t want to do surgery so we have to get it to go away with medicated washes and antibiotics.

Aw thanks for saying that. I was pretty embarrassed to own the lack of movement on a few of them. The weight has been on my resolutions for two years. I’m an emotional eater and things have been really emotional lately. But I think this calorie counter app may help. I can have my carbs and still stay on track.

Thanks again. It really helped to hear that. I’ve been really hard on myself lately and you reminded me the glass is indeed half full. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sometimes it seems you are given others to care for to distract you from yourself? Do hope the paw treatments work – surgery is never easy for dogs.
        I know people who said that calorie counter really helped and was so convenient.
        Until a few years ago I was one of those people who could eat anything and not gain weight – not any more – weight jsut sneaks up on you – and takes FOREVER to get it off. Constant struggle as I eat under stress also. Tried writing down every single bite that went in my mouth….now that’s depressing. I try not to eat at night. But it’s hard! So your’e not alone. Hang in there. Hope you feel better soon. HUGS

• I hope this next round of antibiotics works. ๐Ÿ™‚
          In my 20s, I could decide to lose weight and the weight would drop off. Now in my 30s, it’s so slow. Ugh. LOL, the phone app is a cool compromise, you can scan barcodes and track what you eat. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks. Physical Therapy made my neck hurt more yesterday but it feels a tad better today. ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Kourtney, I am SO impressed with this list of accomplishments. You are WAY ahead of me. You go, girl!

• Aw thanks Naomi. I try to check in every few months on them. This time I’m going to really make an effort with the weight. Appreciate the encouragement though! It is much needed. ๐Ÿ™‚

17. Great job on all of your resolutions! Just the fact that you haven’t given up on them at this point of the year means you’re already ahead of most. Weight is a tricky thing, the only reason I managed to lose and keep off the pounds is that the restaurants around here are notoriously bad — especially the fast food. Otherwise, I’m sure I’d fall back into the bad eating habits in no time.

Hope your neck feels better soon!

• Thanks! Well, some of them I had to admit had little movement. Weight is my nemesis. My doctor advised me to try calorie counting instead of carb counting. Hoping that helps. ๐Ÿ™‚

Started physical therapy today. Hoping in a few weeks I’ll see some improvement. ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Phew you’re doing really well!! Pat on the back ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Sounds like you have made great progress. I’m really impressed with the fact that you have done all of those writing goals simultaneously. That’s my downfall, attacking things serially.

By the way, if you end up anywhere near the SF bay area, let me know!

• Thanks Audrey! I make a to do list everyday. It helps me stay on track and attack item by item. With the food, I now have a fitness app that tracks everything I eat and counts my calories. Hoping that helps with that goal. ๐Ÿ™‚ I get overwhelmed when I look at the big picture. I try to take most things day by day. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks, I definitely will! ๐Ÿ™‚