Grandma H’s Easter Surprise

On Easter, we gathered at Auntie’s for a little dinner. We were sitting on the back deck and Grandma H was sitting below a pine tree on the patio, enjoying the sun.

I was up under the umbrella on the deck with Dad, Auntie and Cousin P (a strapping 20-year-old). Uncle had just gone inside to make coffee.

All of a sudden, Grandma H goes, “OUCH!”
Auntie asks, “Did a nut fall on you?”
Grandma H says, “No, an egg.”
I’m confused. Mom hid Easter eggs for a little hunt, but how did one fall on Grandma H? Where did it fall from? The pine tree is at least 10 feet above her head.

Auntie says, “An egg?” And walks over to Grandma H.
I’m holding Emerson and I get up.

Yolk glistens in Grandma H’s hair.
And beside her on the brick patio is a tiny white egg shell with yolk spewed on the bricks.

We look up and see a badly built bird’s nest out in the limb’s of the pine tree. And a bird’s head looks down at us. But he doesn’t leave the nest.
His tail is twice the size of the nest and sticks out into the air.

Auntie tells Grandma H, “Go rinse your hair.”
Grandma H says, “No, I just got it done. Get me something to wipe the yolk out.”

Auntie rushes inside. She gives a wet cloth and mirror to Cousin P.
Poor Cousin P goes to hand it to Grandma H and she says, “You fix my hair.”
Cousin P looks around. I take pity on him. “If you take Emerson, I’ll fix her hair.”
He smiles and grabs my dog.
I try to get the egg out of Grandma H’s super hairsprayed hair. Then I wipe up the bricks so Emerson doesn’t eat raw egg.

And when my Uncle comes out, he’s so mad he missed everything.

Grandma H tells him, “The yokes on you.”

****
Yesterday Grandma H and I went out to lunch. She mentioned that Cousin P forgot his key to his dorm room at home Easter Sunday. She tells me, “He has that thing, DDT.”
I burst out laughing. “ADD?”
“Yeah, what did I say?”
“You named a chemical, I think it was a pesticide in the 70s.”
Her shoulders shake and she laughs.

This entry was posted in Personal, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Grandma H’s Easter Surprise

1. Cat Forsley says:

OMG —————— !!!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST RESPONDED ON MY EASTER POST WHILST I WAS READING THIS …..
    ALMOST FELL OFF MY CHAIR – SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SWEET ………………. ADD DDT ? LOL
    I WANNA MEET THIS WOMAN ๐Ÿ™‚
    YOU WRITE SO SWEETLY ABOUT HER …………
    COULD PICTURE THE WHOLE DAY ๐Ÿ™‚
    BEAUTIFULLLLLLL XX
    MUCH LOVE MISS K
    XO C

• LOL. We couldn’t stop laughing all Easter Sunday. The DDT was so precious. Aw she’s so adorable I can’t help writing sweet about her.

Thanks Catherine!

Hugs,
      kourtney

• Cat Forsley says:

HUGGS BACK HONEY ……
        SEEMS WE ARE GOING THROUGH A GRANDMA THING TOGETHER – MY GRANDMA WHOM IS GONE — IS STILL INSPIRING ME AND I AM JUST FINISHING UP A SPOKEN WORD POEM FOR HER ….
        GIVE YOUR GRANDMA A GIANT HUG FROM ME XX SHE IS BEAUTIFUL IN ALL HER INNOCENCE AND CANDOUR XOXOXOXOC

2. I think your Grandma sounds like one swell lady ๐Ÿ™‚
    Anne

3. Samir says:

LOL. The adventures of your grandma are too much ๐Ÿ™‚

4. crubin says:

What are the odds? Grandma H definitely knows how to make life interesting. All while giving you ample blog fodder. You could put a book together of your various tales. Not just for us adoring fans but also as a keepsake for your family and its generations to come.

5. Marc Schuster says:

Hmm… DDT… Maybe she was making a Ramones reference…

Oh, can’t wait for those new stories! I love the DDT comment. ๐Ÿ™‚

By the way, your bird sounds suspiciously like a mourning dove. They make very flimsy nests in pine trees. I don’t understand how that’s good for staying in the gene pool, but obviously they manage, because there are lots of them around. ๐Ÿ™‚

• JM, my uncle thought it was a mourning dove too. The bird was too big for the nest and it was sooooo flimsy. And it built them on the furthest out branches so the breeze made the nest sway and tip. Yeesh. I don’t know how they survive with such stupidity. Guess they are super fertile! ๐Ÿ˜‰

7. Grandma – we are all going to adopt you! (no yolk…sometimes birds are just, well, birdbrained about nest construction. Glad it didn’t ruffle Grandma’s feathers!)

• She was more concerned about her newly coiffed hair than the sting of the shell against her skin. ๐Ÿ™‚ BTW, I’m staying with her a couple days, so I just read your comment aloud to her and she laughed at being adopted and “Aw’ed” at the rest. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Laura says:

I love your stories about your grandma! So much fun ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Hilarious! Tell Grandma H. not to worryโ€”not that she is. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Eggs make for great conditioner.

10. klynwurth says:

Thanks, yet again… perfect.

11. I love that! I can’t wait to tell someone they have DDT.

12. It's the little things that make life great.berry says:

How funny is she. You are so lucky to have her.