I have a Dorian Gray face. It doesn’t show much in terms of my aging. For the most part, I love this.
I actively avoid the sun, don’t smoke, don’t wear makeup. Anything that wears and tears on my skin, I run from.
And at 33, I still get carded. For alcohol and cashing scratch off tickets.
But lately, I’ve been noticing the downside of looking young.
- No one ever takes you seriously. I’m always underestimated and treated condescendingly.
- I have to constantly disprove the assumption that I’m a kid. Which means listing off my accomplishments (something I find kinda obnoxious) or be forced to endure the “when you’re my age” speeches.
- No boss thinks I work hard enough. Looking young means they treat me like I’m a kid. Glasses help, but the blonde hair kinda neutralizes their affect.
- Haggard-looking people always get promoted over me.
- My parents still worry about leaving me home alone.