The things people say…

Sometimes I overhear snippets of conversation and I memorize it for future use, knowing at some point one of my characters will use the line. When my close friends read my stories they are always amazed at how tidbits of my daily life work their way in.

Anyway, I am storing the following lines ripped from interactions atย the Botanic Gardens for future use. But they made me giggle to hear them so I figured I’d share them now.

a) Picture it, gorgeous rows of cherry blossoms in full bloom. The sun peeking through the clouds. Then a mom turns to her son and daughter (approximately 8-10 years of age) and says, “You are ruining this for me. I will have to come back here alone on Tuesday to enjoy it.”

The son, sounding decidedly annoyed with his mother’s dramafest, replies, “Mom, take the picture.”

b) This was overheard while strolling among the tulips.ย Spray Tan Barbie to รผber Jock Ken, “When did I ever say I was going to leave you?”

I almost felt bad for this guy. Because clearly if he brought it up, she said it with her actions. I love when people have serious discussions in public.

This is one of my favorites from years ago.

It was my first apartment and this couple next door was usually very quiet until one night they got into a terrible fight. She’s screaming at him about how insensitive he is and how she hates him. He growls back at her, “You’ve ruined my life!”

Hands down, he won that argument. I mean what is worse than ruining someone’s life? I remember her trying to come back at him and he growled it again. Then she piped down. I guess she realized she’d done enough damage for the night. ๐Ÿ˜›

I love the things we say in the moment. People are such characters. Myself included of course.

What is the craziest/funniest/most outrageous thing you’ve ever heard people say?

This entry was posted in Writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to The things people say…

1. berry says:

While in a heated argument with my significant other, he tells me to talk out the window. Have you ever heard anything so absurd? I married the crazy guy. But I still remember those words. He’s great but says some things I can’t believe.

• Oh that’s definitely one to remember! LOL. One time, I was having a meltdown because nothing in my suitcase looked good on me. I turned to my friend dead serious and said, “I don’t know who packed that suitcase, but it wasn’t me.”

He was utterly dumbfounded but recognized that I was losing it and tried to help me construct an outfit. I still giggle when I think of the look on his face then.

2. Gerard says:

Never heard that one about the window before. Did it work? ๐Ÿ™‚ I got to admit that I’ve said some pretty dumb things in public. Hope no one was writing them down. “You ruined my life” is pretty final…I mean how does one apologize for saying that. It certainly is something that will be thrown back in his face FOREVER!!… at least for as long as they are together, if they even lasted past that night.

• I think we all have said silly stuff in the moment. I can’t imagine a relationship coming back from that one. Unless they were able to make light of it and let it go. And maybe unicorns will walk down Fifith Ave tonight. ๐Ÿ˜›

3. Emma says:

Another great tip for aspiring but pretty inexperienced authors like me, thank you! Well, my husband once told me that my dialogue sometimes sounds “artificial” as he put it. At first, I was pretty offended and said, “What a nice thing to say to your wife that’s trying to give her best as an author while doing all the housework and caring for her child!” But looking back I guess he had a valid point. I really should pay more attention to what other people say and how they speak.

Anyways, talking about funny things that people say, I immediately thought of my brother. He is quite a character and he would totally spice up my dialogue. Unfortunately we don’t see each other that often, but I’ll give him a call and catch up on things, I really do miss him.

• Glad to help. I think all of us struggle with the same things as writers. it’s taken me a few years to work my way through some of them so I’m glad to pass along tips when I can. The hardest thing is taking criticism from peopel we love and trust. it hurts more because we believe it. I used to get so mad at my parents but then I realized the were telling me what they saw. And no matter how much it hurt, listening would make me a better writer. ๐Ÿ™‚ I think oen of my big lessons was not answering questions. We do it all the time in real life. Just sidestep a question but on the early draft my characters always answered every question–how dull. I hope you find time to catch up with your brother. Hopefully he can inspire some fun dialogue. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Pingback: Reblog: The Things People Say « Kourtney Heintz's Journal

5. kford2007 says:

Heard a mom the other day tell her two kids who were close to 10, 12 years old: “If you don’t stop your fighting, I’ll drop you off at Azkaban myself!” They shut up.

My husband told my son who was chatting incessantly: “Hush, and listen to the stars.”

Love listening in on other’s conversations.

6. What I overhear really varies. So often it’s obnoxious. Often it’s boring, But once in a while I overhear a gem, a kind thing or two, especially spoken by a child. I hold on to all of this as best I can because yeah, it provides great writing fuel!

Now you’ve got me wondering what other people have heard members of MY family say. Yikes…

8. klynwurth says:

I quote this from my adult son, who keeps me ROTFL: “I ordered a pizza and as the delivery guy handed me the pizza box, he said, “This concludes your meal.” I was pretty disappointed because I was looking forward to actually eating the pizza — I guess there’s always next time.”

Always entertaining to keep an ear on conversations. And we can justify it by saying it’s research. ๐Ÿ˜‰ The one-sided cell phone conversations you hear around you everyday are good fodder, too. There’s lots of fun to be had in supplying the missing pieces!

• I consider it all research. ๐Ÿ˜‰ It really amazes me what people will say in public. It’s not like they are speaking in code or Klingon. I used to love the cell conversations on the bus. Those always seemed to be the wackiest and the most personal. ๐Ÿ™‚

• jmmcdowell says:

I’ll never forget the woman who was calling various partners to tell them the test results were positive. Not the pregnancy kind. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hey, I give her creditโ€”she was letting them know what they might’ve gotten! But talk about TMI for the rest of us!

10. Elliot says:

My faves are the ones on the phone outside a shop, who seem to having a break-up type of discussion. It seems to go on a bit and the woman is ranting and raving. I go from feeling a bit sorry for the “upset looking” woman to sympathising with the man thinking if he had to listen to all that often, then he’s probably doing the right thing.